www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:07 pm 
CR Virgin - Newbie!

Flying down next Tuesday the 26th, arrive afternoon. I have read thru some of your driver recommendations, and also issues with taxi's not knowing where Sportsmen's is at etc. With the plate restrictions for driving right now whats best advice for transfer. Sportsman's shuttle? Or other.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:24 pm 
Not a Newbie I just don't post much!

TakiTaki wrote:
Flying down next Tuesday the 26th, arrive afternoon. I have read thru some of your driver recommendations, and also issues with taxi's not knowing where Sportsmen's is at etc. With the plate restrictions for driving right now whats best advice for transfer. Sportsman's shuttle? Or other.

I use Vanessa as much as I can, she's super punctual, speaks excellent English, and is a great conversationalist for the ride to the SL. +506 8518 5725

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:47 pm 
CR Virgin - Newbie!

Thanks, I have seen her mentioned.
Ill reach out and see if she's available for the date.
And Ill try to stay polite. :shock:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:51 pm 
PHD From Del Rey University!

TakiTaki wrote:
Thanks, I have seen her mentioned.
Ill reach out and see if she's available for the date.
And Ill try to stay polite. :shock:

If not, when you exit there are legit red cabs for a legit price of 15k or $25.00. They will know the Sportsman's.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:11 pm 
CR Virgin - Newbie!

2 of us, traveling. Do red cabs just charge metered fare, or per person? I will use search and google map, but is there a convenient/safe bank to hit on way from airport? Recommended.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 8:40 pm 
Ticas ask me for advice!

at the airport, you pay at the taxi stand inside, and the the driver will usually be right their to grab your bags and go to his car/van. It's fixed pricing, and not metered. sometime the drivers are very talkative, and do a good job of showing you around. Sometimes they will stop at the store for you to stock up on snacks, drinks, and water. Those drivers get a nice tip from me. Unfortunately, some speak no english and quietly drive straight to the hotel. Those guys still get a small tip.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:52 pm 

TakiTaki wrote:
2 of us, traveling. Do red cabs just charge metered fare, or per person? I will use search and google map, but is there a convenient/safe bank to hit on way from airport? Recommended.

My recommendation is to just go to the SL instead of stopping. Once you are settled in, take an UBER to Walmart in Tibas. It should be under c1,500 ($2.50). Uber can bill your credit card so no cash worries. They let you out in the upper level of the garage. Just ride the escalator up.

Once inside you can pick up snacks, drinks, booze&mixers, condoms, lube, Charmin, wet wipes, hydrogen peroxide, English muffins, even a rubber chicken for sexgames. It's a Walmart. There are a couple of ATMs by the Money Center in front of the registers (BCR and Scotiabank) there is also one by the exit (Davivienda). I use the Davivienda one, the fees are kinda high but my card rebates them. I like that the ATMs are in a secure, inside location (well lit, no rain, no thugs). When returning to the hotel there are taxis in the lowest level of the parking garage (c3000). This is also where UBERs pick you up.

You want to use ATMs in CR. Banks will make you show your passport and the waits can take half a day. Plus they don't have booze or condoms. Make sure you know your debit/credit cards international fees.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:51 am 

TakiTaki wrote:

You pay for the cab. Same cost for the two.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 8:56 am 

TakiTaki wrote:

If it were me I would wait until the next day to go to the bank after a full day of travel. You're not really going to need colones the first night. Think about it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:15 pm 

There are 2 ATMs in the baggage claim area. do NOT change money at the money exchange counter. They have the worst exchange rate in the world.

There is nothing either good or bad
but thinking makes it so.
HAMLET

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:10 pm 

Agree big time on that. Terrible exchange rate. Use the ATM.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:39 pm 
CR Virgin - Newbie!

Excellent guys, since I have been going to the coast for the last many visits I'm a behind on the SJO world. Agree on luckin out with a good driver, for sure, had 1 on my last trip to Spain. His s**t English and my s**t Spanish we had a blast. Used him multiple times through the week.
Had to laugh, "first night down, think about it" yep I will be cien boy on night one )). And then the point about the rubber chicken..now i can leave mine home :D :D

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2021 9:53 pm 
Just Learning The Gulch!

I just tell SL to hook me up with a driver... They always do... Never got lost.

One time the girl who riding shotgun even offered some extra special service later in the trip... So you never know.

That is what Ill be doing in May.. if May ever GETS HERE... :x

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 1:28 am 

TakiTaki wrote:

Once u exit the airport bldg. walk across street, go upstairs & enter departure area of terminal. Go inside, turn left, & walk until u see a small bank branch on the left, just before security. Stop & exchange money. I exchanged $1000 usd last week, received going rate, 605-1. Exit terminal where u entered, look for red cab dropping somebody off, make quick offer of 8k colones, about $13 usd to Barrio Amon. If he doesn't accept it, turn to walk away, he will change his mind in 2 seconds, since he's not supposed to do this.

Now, you have a pocketful of colones, ready for action, & a cheap ride to your hotel.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:36 am 
Ticas ask me for advice!

wmark1963 wrote:
I just tell SL to hook me up with a driver... They always do... Never got lost.

One time the girl who riding shotgun even offered some extra special service later in the trip... So you never know.

That is what Ill be doing in May.. if May ever GETS HERE... :x

I usually just schedule a ride through the SL and have never had a problem. They are standing right at the exit with a sign with your name on it.