www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:26 pm 
Site Admin

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention is expanding the requirement for a negative COVID-19 test to all air passengers entering the United States.

https://www.cdc.gov/media/releases/2021 ... ngers.html

According to the press release, Air passengers are required to get a viral test (a test for current infection) within the 3 days before their flight to the U.S. departs, and provide written documentation of their laboratory test result (paper or electronic copy) to the airline or provide documentation of having recovered from COVID-19.

This order was signed by the CDC Director on January 12, 2021 and will become effective on January 26, 2021.

To be clear, NO testing is required at this time to enter or leave Costa Rica. However you must take the test within 3 days of your return to the United States. Otherwise, you must remain in Costa Rica.

Although this complicates travel to Costa Rica there are some take aways here.

1. The test is not required if you plan to return to the United States prior to January 26.
2. The airline is responsible for compliance. So, there won't likely be any QR codes or complicated procedures with immigration or customs and border enforcement. The paperwork is between you and the airline at the counter in San Jose.
3. There is drive up testing in San Jose at Clinica Biblica. The price is 55,120 colones for adults and 38,584 colones for persons age 65 and up.
4. You have 3 days to get your test and results before boarding your flight to the US.
5. If you test positive and have to stay in Costa Rica, then your insurance should kick-in and pay the expense of up to two weeks hotel stay in Costa Rica.
6. Many airlines have offered reservation flexibility. So, if you need to change your flight due to this new policy, then shouldn't have to pay a change fee.

https://www.clinicabiblica.com/es/centr ... otocicleta

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 9:33 pm 
CR Virgin - Newbie!

Thanks Admin...very helpful

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:30 pm 
CR Virgin - Newbie!

This post hinges on this:

To be clear, NO testing is required at this time to enter or leave Costa Rica. However you must take the test within 3 days of your return to the United States

Yet, in point 2 it is stated that the onus is on the airline. This makes it seem like I need to show the airline some paperwork/QR of some sort. Or, do I just tell AA “I will get tested when I get home”. Heh - and what if I then forget?

Points 3, 4 and 5 can easily be read to contradict “To be clear...” etc etc.
Sound like to me, you will need a test in CR.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:45 pm 
PHD From Del Rey University!

The real sphincter tightener should be point 5.

Forget the simple fact you cant get on the airplane. If you test positive for COVID-19 you will immediately be issued a "sanitary order" by the Costa Rican government and you will need to isolate for 14 days. Now the question you face becomes WHERE???? You ain't just going back to the Sportsmen's for nachos and beer. Where are you going to stay and under what conditions? Whose responsibility is it to arrange your lodging? How does your cut-rate insurance handle reimbursement? Why can't you smell anything?

El Hotel Abajo del Puente is ready to serve your quarantine needs now that both the Del Rey and Circus' Cardboard Inns are closed. Check out their new garden suites: https://imgur.com/a/vguUeKu

Oh, and also note that the requirement by the CDC is the negative test. Read the linked article from the CDC. They are also recommending a second test 3-5 days after arrival and a 7 day home quarantine. What are the odds that recommendations become requirements?

Hey, while we are at it, consider that tourist visas have been extended since March 2020, but these extensions will all come to an end March 2, 2021. With the land borders closed to Panama and Nicaragua that will mean virtually every "perpetual tourist" will have to leave by air. Many of those may try to go to the USA. This could easily overwhelm testing sites and available airplane capacity.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:08 pm 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

What I find interesting is that proof of two doses of the vaccine does not exempt you from the test

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 1:53 pm 

Kinetic65 wrote:
This post hinges on this:

To be clear, NO testing is required at this time to enter or leave Costa Rica. However you must take the test within 3 days of your return to the United States

Yet, in point 2 it is stated that the onus is on the airline. This makes it seem like I need to show the airline some paperwork/QR of some sort. Or, do I just tell AA “I will get tested when I get home”. Heh - and what if I then forget?

Points 3, 4 and 5 can easily be read to contradict “To be clear...” etc etc.
Sound like to me, you will need a test in CR.

It does seem clear to me, that you have to get a test in whatever place your flight originates if you plan to fly into the US after Jan 26. The test has to be within 72 hours of when you show up to check in to your flight to the USA. If you do not have a test less than 72 hours old, with a negative result, in your hand you cannot get on the plane. You do not have the option of getting on the plane and getting tested in the USA.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:21 pm 

Boynton wrote:
The real sphincter tightener should be point 5.

Forget the simple fact you cant get on the airplane. If you test positive for COVID-19 you will immediately be issued a "sanitary order" by the Costa Rican government and you will need to isolate for 14 days. Now the question you face becomes WHERE???? You ain't just going back to the Sportsmen's for nachos and beer. Where are you going to stay and under what conditions? Whose responsibility is it to arrange your lodging? How does your cut-rate insurance handle reimbursement? Why can't you smell anything?

Well it turns out you WlLL be returning to your hotel to live for the next 14 days, but under basic conditions. All regular hotels that legally opened apparently agreed to this as a condition of reopening.
https://www.ict.go.cr/es/documentos-ins ... 3EsdNCrXwA

Now if you were in an "informal" establishment such as an AirBNB, well, um, ah .......

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:28 pm 
Just Learning The Gulch!

Fortunately the tests are so reliable and accurate so that if you feel fine and yet test positive you can take heart that the hell you will thereafter endure was justified.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 3:48 pm 
I can do CR without a wingman!

jobair wrote:
Fortunately the tests are so reliable and accurate so that if you feel fine and yet test positive you can take heart that the hell you will thereafter endure was justified.

I'm sure you are kidding when you say "the tests are so reliable and accurate"

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:31 pm 
CR Virgin - Newbie!

This didn't post the first time. I will try again.
Did some searching on new rules today, and also getting some local info from a friend who lives in Jaco.

Here is a great link to current info on clinics and prices for testing all of CR.
https://www.twoweeksincostarica.com/cov ... osta-rica/

The admin post on top of page, pretty straight on.

Also straight from the CDC page, I saw this asked somewhere.
1] What if I have had a COVID-19 vaccine? Do I still need a negative COVID-19 test or documentation of recovery from COVID-19?
Yes, all air passengers traveling to the US, regardless of vaccination status, are required to provide a negative COVID-19 test result or documentation of recovery.

2] What happens if I don’t take a test and want to travel to the US?
Air passengers traveling to the US are required to provide a negative COVID-19 test result or documentation of recovery. Airlines must confirm the negative test result or documentation of recovery for all passengers before boarding. If a passenger chooses not to provide a test result or documentation of recovery, the airline must deny boarding to the passenger.

3] to proove documentation of recovery: Your positive test has to be 3 months prior to flight, and no current symptoms.

Worse part is knowing if your going to get results back in time. And the cost is equal to 1 session, and definitely not going to be as much fun. I like to be the one sticking things in holes.)))

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:06 pm 
CR Virgin - Newbie!

Im glad I just returned from my trip on the 6th. This would have been a bit of a hassle trying to get a Covid test while I was there.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:23 pm 

Returning soon on the 21st. Looks like I will be ok?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:41 pm 

Whitecat wrote:
Returning soon on the 21st. Looks like I will be ok?

It depends on the state you are returning to.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:52 pm 
Site Admin

Both the Castillo Hotel and Sportsmens Lodge have arranged on-site, private, viral COVID testing for under $100, and with results returned within 24 hours by email.

I will be posting the details later today.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:19 pm 
Not a Newbie I just don't post much!

I simply love you guys... Boynton and the rest of you for staying on top of this. My flight is February 10 and I'm coming. I'm also staying at Castillo and makes me even more happy with those places setting up satellite testing. Pretty amazing. Thanks everyone. I about shit my pants when I heard about this today. I'm fking coming. TD