www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:24 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:23 pm 
I can do CR without a wingman!

Boynton wrote:
Seabee wrote:
Reading this doesn't sound like if you tested positive you would be able to quarantine at the SL or Castillo. You would be around 20+ other people and you would not be in an isolated area.

I would check with the hotel, but I would think the clubhouse rooms could easily be blocked off to serve this purpose. Better than being closed.

Not saying the hotel would be closed. Just saying some of the requirements would be difficult. Just a couple are here.
 The daily cleaning of the room will be carried out by the patient who will be given a
basic cleaning kit.

 The access corridors to the rooms must be used exclusively for the entrance and
exit of food and material from the room.

The first one would be difficult for a sick person especially if an elderly person who would be more liable to contract covid. I don't see how the other one would even be possible because at some point you would be in the general area of either hotel.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:33 pm 
CR Virgin - Newbie!

The 300. Was just included in my normal flight insurance. My sagicore policy is for 4500. I figure I’ll quarantine in style. At the vista mar condos. What’s insurance for, right.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:12 pm 
Site Admin

On Friday, the CDC updated the travel policy.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nc ... elers.html

The updated policy addresses those people who have tested positive, but have recovered.

The simplest interpretation, is that in order to fly to the US you need to present a document to the airline in Costa Rica before boarding the flight to the USA.

These are are the two possible documents.

1. Negative test for covid-19 (either Molecular test or rapid test) taken within 3 days of your departure.
2. Positive test for covid-19 and a note from your doctor indicating recovery taken within 3 months of your departure.

If you have any questions, then you have to call your specific airline for your specific flight.

Keep in mind that just getting a test (either a rapid test or molecular test) is not good enough. What you need to fly is a document of the test results.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:18 pm 
PHD From Del Rey University!

Seabee wrote:
Boynton wrote:
Seabee wrote:
Reading this doesn't sound like if you tested positive you would be able to quarantine at the SL or Castillo. You would be around 20+ other people and you would not be in an isolated area.

I would check with the hotel, but I would think the clubhouse rooms could easily be blocked off to serve this purpose. Better than being closed.

Not saying the hotel would be closed. Just saying some of the requirements would be difficult. Just a couple are here.
 The daily cleaning of the room will be carried out by the patient who will be given a
basic cleaning kit.

 The access corridors to the rooms must be used exclusively for the entrance and
exit of food and material from the room.

The first one would be difficult for a sick person especially if an elderly person who would be more liable to contract covid. I don't see how the other one would even be possible because at some point you would be in the general area of either hotel.

The SL clubhouse wing could easily be cordoned off with a single entrance/exit. You would be confined to your room and separated from the general hotel population. The basic meals/snacks could be delivered to the room in disposable containers. Keep in mind the hotel quarantine would only be for asymptomatic persons. If the person was sick and symptomatic, they would be hospitalized. That is what the $20K/$50K is for. The hospitals here are not full. Every night, I see news reports of US counties where they are. Hospitals in Antioquia, Colombia are also full. The experience would not be a "monger paradise", but also not so onerous as to be a make or brake point for the trip.

Each monger should make their own decision. Personally, I am more comfortable self semi-isolating here in CR enjoying sessions a week from COVID recovered chicas than I would be in PussyPrisonUSA (or Canada). Life has risks, play the cards you are dealt, make your own decision.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 9:25 pm 

TakiTaki wrote:
The 300. Was just included in my normal flight insurance. My sagicore policy is for 4500. I figure I’ll quarantine in style. At the vista mar condos. What’s insurance for, right.

In theory, hotel you are staying in when you are tested is where you will be quarantined and the hotel only has to provide basic accommodation that can be isolated (i.e. no chicas). Does the Cocal have a broom closet with no windows? Betcha they do. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:34 pm 

Boynton wrote:
Oh, and also note that the requirement by the CDC is the negative test. Read the linked article from the CDC. They are also recommending a second test 3-5 days after arrival and a 7 day home quarantine. What are the odds that recommendations become requirements?

To quote PFC Gomer Pyle, "Surprise, Surprise, Surprise".
https://ticotimes.net/2021/01/21/united ... nal-travel

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:52 pm 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

How many National Guard Troops will be tailing each returning U.S. Gringo to insure this E.O. is followed??? :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:05 pm 
I can do CR without a wingman!

Boynton wrote:
Boynton wrote:
Oh, and also note that the requirement by the CDC is the negative test. Read the linked article from the CDC. They are also recommending a second test 3-5 days after arrival and a 7 day home quarantine. What are the odds that recommendations become requirements?

I wonder if that will also be effective starting January 26? So now you need a negative covid test to return to the USA and upon arriving within 3-5 days you need another test and you have to quarantine/isolate for 7 days whether it is positive or negative? Am I reading that correctly?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 7:27 pm 
Not a Newbie I just don't post much!

Seabee wrote:
Boynton wrote:
Boynton wrote:

I wonder if that will also be effective starting January 26? So now you need a negative covid test to return to the USA and upon arriving within 3-5 days you need another test and you have to quarantine/isolate for 7 days whether it is positive or negative? Am I reading that correctly?

My understanding is that right now only states can mandate testing after entry, not the federal government, but that of course could change with an executive order.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 9:50 pm 

All you have to do is show your CRT VIP Card when you enter and they let you in. Trust me on this.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:54 pm 

Boynton wrote:
All you have to do is show your CRT VIP Card when you enter and they let you in. Trust me on this.

Does my CRT card get me a 10% discount on the covid test at SL?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:43 am 
Ticas ask me for advice!

On the new Executive Order mandating self-isolation on return to the US. CR media is reporting it as done. https://ticotimes.net/2021/01/21/united ... nal-travel As always it is better to go to source and not just believe what the media tells you.

I read the executive order at whitehouse.gov https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-roo ... al-travel/

It directs HHS, CDC, Secretary of Transportation and Secretary of Homeland Security to assess the feasibility consistent with applicable law of implementing CDC-recommended period of self-isolation.

I am not a Constitutional lawyer. I understand the Federal Government controls the boarder and can therefore mandate the preflight test. Once a citizen leaves the airport, I am not sure the Federal Government has authority.

An individual State can mandate self-isolation on arrival. Some (NY) currently do. We will have 50 different sets of rules.

To my reading the executive order is directing the agencies to see if they can develop any legal theories consistent with the Constitution that would let them to mandate the self-isolation. I don’t see it. If it was obvious they would have immediately used it.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:53 am 

bulldog10 wrote:
On the new Executive Order mandating self-isolation on return to the US. CR media is reporting it as done. https://ticotimes.net/2021/01/21/united ... nal-travel As always it is better to go to source and not just believe what the media tells you.

I read the executive order at whitehouse.gov https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-roo ... al-travel/

It directs HHS, CDC, Secretary of Transportation and Secretary of Homeland Security to assess the feasibility consistent with applicable law of implementing CDC-recommended period of self-isolation.

I am not a Constitutional lawyer. I understand the Federal Government controls the boarder and can therefore mandate the preflight test. Once a citizen leaves the airport, I am not sure the Federal Government has authority.

An individual State can mandate self-isolation on arrival. Some (NY) currently do. We will have 50 different sets of rules.

To my reading the executive order is directing the agencies to see if they can develop any legal theories consistent with the Constitution that would let them to mandate the self-isolation. I don’t see it. If it was obvious they would have immediately used it.

There's a good article here that covers this. https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politi ... e-n1162036

The nutshell, is that no, the federal government does not have the power to implement a general quarantine, however, the CDC can mandate individual quarantines, but only if they have reason to believe you're a infected. Considering you're mandated to have a negative test in order to return, I would say that they have no way to enforce any self isolation. Individual states CAN mandate testing and self isolation on return, what I'm expecting is some sort of backdoor deal that involves getting more vaccines to states that agree to self isolation and testing requirements for travelers.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:33 pm 

saltyron wrote:
bulldog10 wrote:

There's a good article here that covers this. https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politi ... e-n1162036

The nutshell, is that no, the federal government does not have the power to implement a general quarantine, however, the CDC can mandate individual quarantines, but only if they have reason to believe you're a infected. Considering you're mandated to have a negative test in order to return, I would say that they have no way to enforce any self isolation. Individual states CAN mandate testing and self isolation on return, what I'm expecting is some sort of backdoor deal that involves getting more vaccines to states that agree to self isolation and testing requirements for travelers.

You underestimate the federal government's appetite to usurp individual and state rights. Recall that Lincoln suspended the fundamental right of habeas corpus to imprison US Citizens without charge in 1861 simply to silence dissenters and rebels. Nobody faults him for that now. Keep in mind the NBC article was published in March of last year when a different executive was in power. Currently, the media salivates at the prospect of a a vast federally-coordinated response. There is authority, power, and influence. They are not always joined at the hype.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:40 pm 
Ticas ask me for advice!

Saltyron you are probably right on the backdoor deal. Although it would more truthfully be called extortion.

The Federal Government has used it before to effect change where they clearly do not have the Constitutional authority. Individual States clearly have the sole authority to set the legal drinking age. Remember the threat to withhold all federal highway funds from States that did not change to 21.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next