www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:19 pm 
Site Admin

Hotel Castillo and the Sportsmens Lodge are offering onsite Covid-19 testing. At the Sportsmens Lodge, the cost of the test is $75 + 4% tax. For guests of Hotel Castillo, testing is $95. Hotel Castillo will cover 50 percent of the cost for all-inclusive guests, who stay four nights or more.

Lab results at both properties are provided by email, and within 24 hours.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:25 am 
Just Learning The Gulch!

Great news. Thank you for posting this.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 2:23 pm 
CR Virgin - Newbie!

Thank you for this information.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:55 pm 
Not a Newbie I just don't post much!

This is making me rethink my cancelled plans for late march.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:10 pm 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

Since the chances of more people being detained in CR for covid is likely to rise, won't be too surprised if the cost of insurance goes up. The insurance companies will be on the hook to pay out more money on the policies they have written since everyone wanting to leave must be tested.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 5:35 pm 

I'm curious how a positive test result will impact your tourist visa. IIRC, immigration is granting a visa for the number of days on your insurance policy plus 1. If you have to stay another two weeks or longer, does your visa get extended automatically or do you have to contact immigration?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2021 6:19 pm 

TRAVEL INSURANCE : I used Sagicor. Just do a Google search for Sagicor Travel insurance Costa Rica. Be sure not to use internet explorer. Initially I put in the days of my stay when using explorer and it would not calculate the cost per day with number of days. The cost is $11.30 per day. With explorer it stuck on the default 3 days. Making sure your policy is 100% accurate is critical ( actually I'm an insurance professional - lol no joke) So so I used Google Chrome and everything went smooth as can be. Literally 10 minute thing. Even better , its in English and incredibly user friendly with satisfying any paranoia concerns. Once complete you get an email with all the information with 3 PDF attachments. Brief overview , declarations page with all listed coverages for each potential issue and a complete 17 page copy of your policy.

Again , I'm not worrying. With the great help with Admin on testing and Hotel Castillo having return testing. I'm happy. Hope this helps.guys. TD

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 4:54 pm 

Still planning to stay at SL starting Feb 13th.

Before I go out and obtain my travel insurance for the trip I would appreciate feedback on point 5 in the original post.

Since SL is doing the tests for a reasonable price my concern is not so much getting tested but what happens if the test is positive.

Aa I am required to obtain travel insurance what provider or terms should I look out for?

I would much rather have the insurance company pay for the hotel if I did get stuck in CR longer than anticipated.

Please let me know how this works.

Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:12 pm 
Site Admin

There has been a great deal of confusion since the CDC issued the order that requires testing for travel to the United States.

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/unit ... index.html

Among the problems with the order is that the original CDC publication did not indicate which of the 3 CDC tests would be required. The CDC has since revised its instructions, and and has indicated that both the Molecular Test (aka PCR NAAT, RT-PCR test, LAMP test) and Antigen Test (aka rapid test) are acceptable.

https://www.fda.gov/consumers/consumer- ... ing-basics

Both the Castillo and Sportsmens Lodge had assumed that the Molecular Test would be required and have made arrangements for Molecular Testing, which is generally more difficult to arrange on your own.

It's safe to assume there will be many more options, possibly less expensive and quicker options for getting the rapid test. Keep in mind this is a problem anyone leaving Costa Rica for the United States will have to deal with, and solutions are likely to emerge.

One point to consider is that you opt for the rapid, antigen test, it's possible you could get a false positive result. The Molecular or PCR test is unlikely to give a false positive result.

In either case, it's likely that you will have to be tested by a professional, because the actual requirement is a "dated document" of negative test results.

https://www.fda.gov/medical-devices/let ... ovdelivery

The bottom line, however is that the CDC requires the individual airline to check for testing compliance. Having a negative test result, taken within 3 days is a travel document, just like having your passport. The airline doesn't look too closely at your passport, and verifies that you have it along with the required visa in the case of foreigner travelers to the US.

At this time, if you have any questions about the test requirement for returning to the United States, then you should call your specific airline.

The practical upshot is that testing is NOT likely to be a problem if you are staying at the Sportsmens Lodge or Castillo Hotel just before going to the airport.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:22 pm 

The Admin wrote:
There has been a great deal of confusion since the CDC issued the order that requires testing for travel to the United States.

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/unit ... index.html

Among the problems with the order is that the original CDC publication did not indicate which of the 3 CDC tests would be required. The CDC has since revised its instructions, and and has indicated that both the Molecular Test (aka PCR NAAT, RT-PCR test, LAMP test) and Antigen Test (aka rapid test) are acceptable.

https://www.fda.gov/consumers/consumer- ... ing-basics

Both the Castillo and Sportsmens Lodge had assumed that the Molecular Test would be required and have made arrangements for Molecular Testing, which is generally more difficult to arrange on your own.

It's safe to assume there will be many more options, possibly less expensive and quicker options for getting the rapid test. Keep in mind this is a problem anyone leaving Costa Rica for the United States will have to deal with, and solutions are likely to emerge.

One point to consider is that you opt for the rapid, antigen test, it's possible you could get a false positive result. The Molecular or PCR test is unlikely to give a false positive result.

In either case, it's likely that you will have to be tested by a professional, because the actual requirement is a "dated document" of negative test results.

https://www.fda.gov/medical-devices/let ... ovdelivery

The bottom line, however is that the CDC requires the individual airline to check for testing compliance. Having a negative test result, taken within 3 days is a travel document, just like having your passport. The airline doesn't look too closely at your passport, and verifies that you have it along with the required visa in the case of foreigner travelers to the US.

At this time, if you have any questions about the test requirement for returning to the United States, then you should call your specific airline.

The practical upshot is that testing is NOT likely to be a problem if you are staying at the Sportsmens Lodge or Castillo Hotel just before going to the airport.

This is really great news, as long as the rapid test is acceptable, and the SL has the rapid test available, it sounds like a go for me.

Edit to add: IF the rapid test returns a positive, can a second test be run to verify?

Last edited by saltyron on Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:26 pm 
PHD From Del Rey University!

Dr Chaos wrote:

Before I go out and obtain my travel insurance for the trip I would appreciate feedback on point 5 in the original post.

Since SL is doing the tests for a reasonable price my concern is not so much getting tested but what happens if the test is positive.

Aa I am required to obtain travel insurance what provider or terms should I look out for?

I would much rather have the insurance company pay for the hotel if I did get stuck in CR longer than anticipated.

Thanks!

This document describes in detail the conditions of any hotel that will provide COVID-19 isolation. Open it, select all, copy into Google Translate. I won't spam the thread by just pasting the info here.
https://www.ict.go.cr/es/documentos-ins ... pacientes/

From what a local newspaper reporter told me, any hotel that opened had to agree to these conditions. Given the veracity of the media, I would check directly with the hotel management where you are staying. Also, this might explain why some hotels open and others don't given the costs associated with setting up an isolation area. I also wonder what would happen with unregulated lodging such as an AirBNB.

As an aside, I know that El Hotel Abajo del Puente is openly flaunting these conditions. COVID-19 Positive and Negative guests are allowed to mix with no special treatment. One should expect nothing else when staying "Abajo del Puente", try their new luxury garden suites
https://imgur.com/a/vguUeKu

Oh and with a handle like "DrChaos", surely you can handle a little uncertainty. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:45 pm 
CR Virgin - Newbie!

Good question, this may answer for you.
Just received this in a chat with Sagicor:
If I have insurance for 14 days, and worse case I get a positive test 3 days before my return flight to USA and have to quarantine. Do I have to / or can I get additional insurance. Or is that all part of this policy?

No, if you claim your coverage during the period you have bought, we will cover your quarantine even if that pass the days bought.

I put 4500.00 for my trip insurance, I also have flight insurance thru Allianz/Delta carrier. I just read it this weekend. It covers my flight, and an additinal 20k for covid related medical and an extra 300.00 for lodging. Was not aware until I read it.
I should also have some info on testing in Jaco soon. My friend there is getting hours of the 2 local clinics he uses for his medical needs down there.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 5:52 pm 
I can do CR without a wingman!

Boynton wrote:
Dr Chaos wrote:

Thanks!

(This document describes in detail the conditions of any hotel that will provide COVID-19 isolation. Open it, select all, copy into Google Translate. I won't spam the thread by just pasting the info here.
https://www.ict.go.cr/es/documentos-ins ... pacientes/

From what a local newspaper reporter told me, any hotel that opened had to agree to these conditions. Given the veracity of the media, I would check directly with the hotel management where you are staying. Also, this might explain why some hotels open and others don't given the costs associated with setting up an isolation area. I also wonder what would happen with unregulated lodging such as an AirBNB.)

Reading this doesn't sound like if you tested positive you would be able to quarantine at the SL or Castillo. You would be around 20+ other people and you would not be in an isolated area.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 6:01 pm 
PHD From Del Rey University!

Seabee wrote:
Reading this doesn't sound like if you tested positive you would be able to quarantine at the SL or Castillo. You would be around 20+ other people and you would not be in an isolated area.

I would check with the hotel, but I would think the clubhouse rooms could easily be blocked off to serve this purpose. Better than being closed.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2021 7:11 pm 

TakiTaki wrote:
Good question, this may answer for you.
Just received this in a chat with Sagicor:
If I have insurance for 14 days, and worse case I get a positive test 3 days before my return flight to USA and have to quarantine. Do I have to / or can I get additional insurance. Or is that all part of this policy?

No, if you claim your coverage during the period you have bought, we will cover your quarantine even if that pass the days bought.

I put 4500.00 for my trip insurance, I also have flight insurance thru Allianz/Delta carrier. I just read it this weekend. It covers my flight, and an additinal 20k for covid related medical and an extra 300.00 for lodging. Was not aware until I read it.
I should also have some info on testing in Jaco soon. My friend there is getting hours of the 2 local clinics he uses for his medical needs down there.

$300 seems a bit light for 14 days of lodging.

Thanks for the info!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next