www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:51 pm 
Not a Newbie I just don't post much!

bulldog10 wrote:
Saltyron you are probably right on the backdoor deal. Although it would more truthfully be called extortion.

The Federal Government has used it before to effect change where they clearly do not have the Constitutional authority. Individual States clearly have the sole authority to set the legal drinking age. Remember the threat to withhold all federal highway funds from States that did not change to 21.

I certainly remember driving through Louisiana as they held on to 18 for far too long. Worst roads I've ever driven on.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:17 pm 
Ticas ask me for advice!

Ahh Louisiana - they eventually passed the 21 law then totally ignored it. I remember visiting a friend from NO in the 80s. Spent all night in bars with my friend’s sister in high school and her friends Never carded, no one cared

The Feds can extort you to pass a law. Enforcement is another issue.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 1:42 pm 
Ticas ask me for advice!

I think the critical point here is timeframe. It will likely take time for the Feds to extort the States.

I live in Kansas which has divided government Nothing happens here. The Dem governor issues orders the legislature takes her to court. They maybe compromise. Takes months.

Vaccine will hopefully make it moot before anything is done.

I guess we will see how it plays out. I am coming for Super Bowl I am expecting to take test at SL to get on flight back to US. Not expecting any additional isolation requirements

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:51 pm 

bulldog10 wrote:
I think the critical point here is timeframe. It will likely take time for the Feds to extort the States.

I live in Kansas which has divided government Nothing happens here. The Dem governor issues orders the legislature takes her to court. They maybe compromise. Takes months.

Vaccine will hopefully make it moot before anything is done.

I guess we will see how it plays out. I am coming for Super Bowl I am expecting to take test at SL to get on flight back to US. Not expecting any additional isolation requirements

And here's the executive order for quarantine on arrival.....

https://www.cntraveler.com/story/quaran ... =CNT_Daily

We'll see how this goes over.

Edit to add: I found another article that says the quarantine is a "recommendation". https://thehill.com/homenews/administra ... arrival-to

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:18 pm 
PHD From Del Rey University!

And no provision for travelers that have already been vaccinated. The whole requirement/recommendation thing is very muddled. Give us some clear cut rules!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 4:46 pm 

Jawanker wrote:
And no provision for travelers that have already been vaccinated. The whole requirement/recommendation thing is very muddled. Give us some clear cut rules!

Last I read is that they are looking into some sort of "vaccination passport", but like a lot of this, muddled is the right word.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:23 pm 

bulldog10 wrote:

If the states don't comply (and even if they do), the President can shut the borders with the stroke of a pen. He can do it tomorrow, the day before SuperBowl, or the day after. Any day 'The Fauc' suggests it. Ya'll remember last year?

If you delay your trip, it might not happen.

Now if you wanna talk muddled, check this out.
https://qcostarica.com/the-possible-202 ... andidates/

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:36 pm 

Boynton wrote:
bulldog10 wrote:

If the states don't comply (and even if they do), the President can shut the borders with the stroke of a pen. He can do it tomorrow, the day before SuperBowl, or the day after. Any day 'The Fauc' suggests it. Ya'll remember last year?

If you delay your trip, it might not happen.

Now if you wanna talk muddled, check this out.
https://qcostarica.com/the-possible-202 ... andidates/

Welp - I'm booked for 5 months from now. Who knows where we'll be by then.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:45 pm 
Site Admin

On January 21, President Biden issued an executive order mandating restrictions for International travel, and specifically requiring a quarantine and testing for persons returning to the United States. The order supplements the previous CDC order, which requires testing for persons who travel by air to the United States.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-roo ... al-travel/

Executive Orders generally have the effect of law. However, they must be based on powers granted to the President in the Constitution or supported by federal law. In the case of international air travel, there are a number of federal laws that give the executive branch the power to set regulations.

The key point here is that the president has ordered various federal agencies to make the actual rules. So neither the final details of the restrictions or the time when they become effective are known.

The executive order requires federal agencies to submit details within the next 14 days regarding the appropriate duration of quarantine, and acceptable timing and types of COVID tests under this order.

So, we should expect no specific final details for at least 14 days. In the interim, the testing requirement for return travel goes into effect on January 26th, according to the previous CDC regulations.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 5:51 pm 

Thanks Admin, it is driving me crazy trying to plan a trip there. I'm sure it's even more frustrating for you in the tourist industry.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2021 3:29 pm 
CR Virgin - Newbie!

FYI: The clinics in Jaco are not accepting appointments for COVID Testing at this time. The one in Jaco walk doesn’t know when they will again. The other says there schedule is full. Screw em...headed to Montezuma and then maybe I’ll go get tested at the Sportsmen and watch the Super Bowl.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 8:53 am 
Site Admin

On Friday the CDC published updated guidelines for International Travelers.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nc ... elers.html

After You Travel

Get tested 3-5 days after travel AND stay home and self-quarantine for 7 days after travel.
Even if you test negative, stay home and self-quarantine for the full 7 days.
If your test is positive, isolate yourself to protect others from getting infected.​​
​If you don’t get tested, it’s safest to stay home and self-quarantine for 10 days after travel.​
Avoid being around people who are at increased risk for severe illness for 14 days, whether you get tested or not.
Always ​follow state and local recommendations or requirements related to travel.

Also, last week from the Washington Post.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/travel/2 ... als-covid/

While the first of those rules has a clear prerequisite attached to it — acquiring a coronavirus test abroad — it remains unclear how a self-quarantine would be enforced, and the CDC said in an email Monday that it will not enforce its guidelines for quarantine as a rule. (The White House did not respond to requests for clarification on that stance.)

Perhaps the keyword in self-quarantine is "self".

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:58 am 

Location: Sex Felony State (most other places p4p is just another day!)
So so glad I got to come down the middle of last month before all these extra requirements layered on us. Not impossible to travel but just more hoops to jump through making it not worth it for even a long weekend trip.

Fortunately hearing that CA starting to open back up since Newsom's ass is in the sling with his recall petition. So means I can enjoy some dinner and drinks out in San Diego after pounding TJ SGs all day! :D

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:10 pm 

I'm heading down on February 10. I thought to pass along information I've received regarding all of the preparations I've done so far with follow ups with research and Hotel Castillo. Everyone has to make their own decision but for me, the info I've learned hasn't caused me reason to cancel my trip.

If you read into the forums, I strongly suggest you rely upon Admin on here as most of them feel a sense of accuracy in reporting. I've found that all has been true and quite up to date. You do want to be sure of the test you will be taking in order to board your plane home. I have confirmed that Castillo is using PCR which is compliant. I'm also super impressed with them. They have answered emails same day and I've also spoken to them via WhatsApp. My biggest concern was "what if". So here is what I was told. I asked if for some reason I did test positive while being there, would they accommodate me for the 14 days? The answer is yes. The other question is the insurance and because I live in US (I'm using Sagicor) will they process the claim so I'm not out of pocket. The answer is a yes and as this is new territory for everyone , its a matter of the carrier allowing a third party to submit housing invoices. I am also an insurance professional and read my policy by detail. I'm not going to speak for Castillo on everything as that's something you should do and case by case basis. But for this report, my talks with Castillo give me every assurance that they will work with you side by side. I listened to his voice myself and I'm super impressed with what they know and contingent plans they have made and how they are rolling with information On going.

I also asked the question regarding ability of them to house me versus national plan to house anyone positive elsewhere ? My response was that its not that controlled and its almost certain that Castillo will be able to house you. They have plans in place for this but out of respect , I'm not speaking for them. But what's important is that I'm more than satisfied with my answer. I'm seriously no spokesman for Castillo, I assure you. I live in Florida - lol. But I'm super impressed with them and all they are doing. Enough where I personally am not worried. I work remotely anyway so if God forbid it happened , I'm okay.

Lastly , I asked the direct question over the phone regarding positive tests since the mandate - I was told zero positive tests so far. I hope this helps someone as I would want to know also. I wish I could be more direct but again I don't want to speak for Castillo definitely. Just my experience generally and report what I was told.

I think we all have the same interest in all the fun we have. My belief is that you're not traveling to Afghanistan and they are making the right steps for you to be safe and get home. They satisfied me. See you February 10th. I'm seriously hoping to meet anyone for drinks if you're there ! TD

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:39 pm 
Site Admin

Sportsmens Lodge is pleased to announce that Antigen (Rapid) testing for COVID-19 is now available, in addition to Molecular (PCR) testing.

Either test is suitable for meeting the CDC requirements for return travel to the United States.
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-nc ... ravel.html

Antigen testing is $60, and results are available by email, and within 2 hours of taking the test. Molecular test results tend to require 24 hours for test result. Please note these time frames are based on experience with the local lab in San Jose.

https://sportsmenscr.com/onsite-testing-for-covid-19/
Guests may choose either Molecular or Antigen testing option. In both cases the lab provides the documentation of test result by email.

For more information, please see the links below from the Mayo Clinic and FDA that explain the differences between the tests.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/tests-proced ... c-20488900
https://www.fda.gov/consumers/consumer- ... ing-basics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next