www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:18 am 
PHD From Del Rey University!

A few points for discussion.....

Anyone know where to get the Covid test in SJO with rapid results?

I would think leaving the USA to return is remaining the same, including not another test?

If you go for a few days and they are going to have a quarentine on arrival, why go? If you live there I understand. If visiting, is it worth it?

Thx

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 2:38 pm 

It is almost as if they want to discourage travel. Go figure :mrgreen:

BTW, I also need to travel to the US post 1/26. I have figured on a 10 day quarantine with a second test 3 to 5 days after arrival. I made sure to book a suite close to the airport, and with a kitchen (Homewood Suites by Hilton). I made sure the reservation had free cancellation. If options change, so will my plans.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 3:12 pm 
Not a Newbie I just don't post much!

Boynton wrote:

BTW, I also need to travel to the US post 1/26. I have figured on a 10 day quarantine with a second test 3 to 5 days after arrival. I made sure to book a suite close to the airport, and with a kitchen (Homewood Suites by Hilton). I made sure the reservation had free cancellation. If options change, so will my plans.

The order is still Up In The Air so to speak.

https://www.flightglobal.com/safety/bid ... 75.article

Quote:
“To the extent feasible, travelers seeking to enter the United States from a foreign country shall be…required to produce proof of a recent negative Covid-19 test prior to entry,” says the order, published by the White House. Inbound passengers will also be required to comply with quarantine and isolation guidelines.

The order gives the Department of Health and Human Services, the Centers of Disease Control and Prevention and the Department of Transportation 14 days to make recommendations on the feasibility of introducing alteratives to a negative Covid-19 test. Such measures might include testing, self-quarantine and self-isolation upon arrival for travellers from countries where Covid-19 tests are inaccessible – especially when lack of testing might hinder US citizens’ ability to return to the USA.

Airline lobbying groups are already starting to go after this order. I wouldn't be surprised to see some changes in the next few weeks.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 4:08 pm 

Boynton wrote:

So a person visiting the states for only 7 days will do it all under quarentine? Is there a reason for the second test you have scheduled? I assume a return for a CR resident would be the same procedure as before without another test. Just health form, proof of CAJA?

It's getting complicated. Still have to get a test 72 hrs before entering the USA.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 4:54 pm 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

The business travel lobby will be protesting any quarantines, then you also have the couriers of illegal substances as well

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 5:27 pm 

As Salty says above, things are up in the air.

My personal analysis:
The current CDC requirements are the negative test before boarding. That WILL go into effect 1/26. They also recommend a second test in the USA 3 to 5 days after return coupled with a 7 to 10 day self isolation.

Biden's executive order lays out his intent to turn the CDC recommendations into requirements. He has given his muckitty-mucks 14 days to come up with a plan that would be both effective and constitutional. Nobody knows what this will be. So, to answer your question, change is a coming.

Individual states can also specify their own requirements. That would depend on where you are going. At this time, my destination (Florida) has none.

Once you return to CR, there are no additional requirements beyond health form and caja/insurance. The Tico press report the government isn't even discussing it, but who knows what will happen.

This morning, Reuters aired a report that sources are now reporting the UK variant IS actually deadlier than the original one, it is also more harmful in younger populations, and that this variant will soon become dominate in the USA. Also, they reported that Pfizer vaccine may not be as effective against the South African variant. My personal take is that uncertainty in government, media, and science is once again on the rise. Nobody really has a handle on it and so the media will hyper-speculate. This makes me suspect that restrictions will increase, not decrease. Chances if a second lockdown are increasing.

I have made sure that ALL of my plans (testing, flight, 2nd test, hotel) can be changed or canceled without penalty. I will continue to monitor as my departure date approaches. If I did not have strong business reasons to return, I would not go. Not out of health concerns, I have them whether I stay or go. I expect another global travel clusterfuck.

Catering to tourists or returning citizens will not be a prime focus of the US government. Hopefully, that will leave enough gaps for us to do what we need to do.

In the end, biology and evolution laugh at the plans of men.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2021 7:45 pm 

Boynton wrote:
As Salty says above, things are up in the air.

My personal analysis:
The current CDC requirements are the negative test before boarding. That WILL go into effect 1/26. They also recommend a second test in the USA 3 to 5 days after return coupled with a 7 to 10 day self isolation.

Biden's executive order lays out his intent to turn the CDC recommendations into requirements. He has given his muckitty-mucks 14 days to come up with a plan that would be both effective and constitutional. Nobody knows what this will be. So, to answer your question, change is a coming.

Individual states can also specify their own requirements. That would depend on where you are going. At this time, my destination (Florida) has none.

Once you return to CR, there are no additional requirements beyond health form and caja/insurance. The Tico press report the government isn't even discussing it, but who knows what will happen.

This morning, Reuters aired a report that sources are now reporting the UK variant IS actually deadlier than the original one, it is also more harmful in younger populations, and that this variant will soon become dominate in the USA. Also, they reported that Pfizer vaccine may not be as effective against the South African variant. My personal take is that uncertainty in government, media, and science is once again on the rise. Nobody really has a handle on it and so the media will hyper-speculate. This makes me suspect that restrictions will increase, not decrease. Chances if a second lockdown are increasing.

I have made sure that ALL of my plans (testing, flight, 2nd test, hotel) can be changed or canceled without penalty. I will continue to monitor as my departure date approaches. If I did not have strong business reasons to return, I would not go. Not out of health concerns, I have them whether I stay or go. I expect another global travel clusterfuck.

Catering to tourists or returning citizens will not be a prime focus of the US government. Hopefully, that will leave enough gaps for us to do what we need to do.

In the end, biology and evolution laugh at the plans of men.

Or, an older saying, Man plans, and God laughs.”

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:29 pm 

Or put another way :

Man proposes, GOD disposes. :) :) :)

There is nothing either good or bad
but thinking makes it so.
HAMLET

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:57 pm 
Ticas ask me for advice!

My questions is, after one arrives back in the U.S of A, whos going to enforce the quarantine. ??
what are they going to do ,, visit your abode every day , put an ankle monitor on you.. again whos going to do it the local police?? US marshals? Health department?
I agree the lobbying the travel industry just geared up.
Thank God I live in Florida...

"When the government can take away your rights during an emergency, the government will create emergencies to take away your rights."
UNKNOWN

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 3:04 pm 
Not a Newbie I just don't post much!

Flacoduro1 wrote:
My questions is, after one arrives back in the U.S of A, whos going to enforce the quarantine. ??

This will be passed off to the individual states to determine and in some cases could even end up at the local level. Page 9 of this document discusses the challenges around quarantines and who has legal authority.

https://fas.org/sgp/crs/misc/RL33201.pdf

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:20 am 
I can do CR without a wingman!

Whitecat wrote:

to answer that question, SL and Castillo are planning to have the test available to take for a fee.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:44 am 

NYr wrote:
Whitecat wrote:

to answer that question, SL and Castillo are planning to have the test available to take for a fee.

Looking forward to any updated info on this.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:45 am 

Whitecat wrote:
NYr wrote:
Whitecat wrote:

Looking forward to any updated info on this.

Lab Echandi, more than 20 locations
Labin, more than 30 locations
Lab Paez, multiple locations
Lab San Jose, multiple Locations
Hostipal CIMA, in Escazu
Hospital Clinical Biblica, downtown San Jose and Santa Ana
Hospital Metropolitano, in San Jose and Santa Ana
Hospital La Católica, Goicoechea
https://qcostarica.com/130-laboratories ... osta-rica/
The QCostaRica article contains a link to an ICT page that lists the individual locations and their phone number. The link would not paste here. I plan on using Clinica Biblica.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:40 pm 

Thanks, I had seen this link before. Do you have info on who can do it with quick turnover results? Reason being if something negative happens one has to cancel air and hotel. Also if leaving at the beginning of the week, there is that weekend only when the test must be taken.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:32 pm 

Flacoduro1 wrote:
what are they going to do ,, visit your abode every day , put an ankle monitor on you.. again whos going to do it the local police?? US marshals? Health department?
I agree the lobbying the travel industry just geared up.
Thank God I live in Florida...

"When the government can take away your rights during an emergency, the government will create emergencies to take away your rights."
UNKNOWN

I think this paints the picture of what is different in the USA versus a lot of other countries. In other places I think that more people don't ask the question of "who's going to enforce it", but they see it as something everyone needs to do to deal with the pandemic. More like a patriotic duty of care to your fellow citizens, and to yourself.

But, having said that, other countries have more ways of enforcing it than appears to be the case in the USA. In Canada it falls under a federal quarantine act, and is enforceable with maximum penalties of up to 200,000 dollar fine and jail time.