www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Armistad & Castillo
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:00 pm 
PHD From Del Rey University!

Boynton wrote:
Another speculation on what is really happening with the HDR .... the banks can't afford to foreclose. If the execute the seizure, they have to encumber their reserves. Really bad news, especially bad with the dollar exchange rate about to explode. More inferred from the article, rather than explicitly stated.

https://qcostarica.com/banks-fill-up-wi ... bad-loans/

I worked in that part of banking for a few years, and it looks like banks in Costa Rica follow the general rules for these types of loans as banks elsewhere. Reading the article it seems to be saying that the loans that have been propped up by government covid related payment deferrals are the concern. How many of those will go into default and then the next steps toward foreclosure. And that could relate to the HDR property, but my guess is that it is long past that stage and the losses are already booked. Losses are booked normally when payments are not being made, and the reserve for losses adjusted when the property is seized, and again possibly when it is finally sold or disposed of. Again, by the time the property is seized and becomes an asset the loan will have been totally written off, and when the property finally sells the proceeds are straight income to the bank.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 5:14 pm 

Zeos wrote:
Boynton wrote:
Another speculation on what is really happening with the HDR .... the banks can't afford to foreclose. If the execute the seizure, they have to encumber their reserves. Really bad news, especially bad with the dollar exchange rate about to explode. More inferred from the article, rather than explicitly stated.

I worked in that part of banking for a few years, and it looks like banks in Costa Rica follow the general rules for these types of loans as banks elsewhere. Reading the article it seems to be saying that the loans that have been propped up by government covid related payment deferrals are the concern. How many of those will go into default and then the next steps toward foreclosure. And that could relate to the HDR property, but my guess is that it is long past that stage and the losses are already booked. Losses are booked normally when payments are not being made, and the reserve for losses adjusted when the property is seized, and again possibly when it is finally sold or disposed of. Again, by the time the property is seized and becomes an asset the loan will have been totally written off, and when the property finally sells the proceeds are straight income to the bank.

Remember, the old HDR closed suddenly before the pandemic and was then in the process of re-development as a "family friendly, long stay hotel". Presumably, the old ownership interests lost all assets and the loan and government encumbrances were worked through then. About that time, the domain 'avenidadelrey.com' crops up with the old 'delreyhotel.com' merely serving as a utility name server. This would jive with new the new business model speculated on at that time; a complex with lodging, retail, entertainment, etc. Even a 'cultural center' across the parking lot. Then came COVID. Everything stopped and the property began gathering dust and cobwebs. The new owners would be those seeking forebearance and floating rumors of an imminent opening to generate cash flow. This might send the government and public banks into 'nod, nod, wink, wink, say no more' mode.

Also, keep in mind that the grant to convert the Key Largo / Del Mar property was only $300K. Nothing has been happening with that property either, not even banner. The list of needed improvrments just to bring it to code has been growing. No doubt the available funds have been shrinking.

Lastly, don't assume public CR banks follow the same rules as other private international banks. The publicly owned banks here take measures to support the Central Bank such as buying government bonds when nobody else will.

I could be wrong, December 1st is only 3 weeks away. Winter is coming....

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 7:33 pm 

Boynton wrote:
Zeos wrote:
Boynton wrote:

Remember, the old HDR closed suddenly before the pandemic and was then in the process of re-development as a "family friendly, long stay hotel". Presumably, the old ownership interests lost all assets and the loan and government encumbrances were worked through then. About that time, the domain 'avenidadelrey.com' crops up with the old 'delreyhotel.com' merely serving as a utility name server. This would jive with new the new business model speculated on at that time; a complex with lodging, retail, entertainment, etc. Even a 'cultural center' across the parking lot. Then came COVID. Everything stopped and the property began gathering dust and cobwebs. The new owners would be those seeking forebearance and floating rumors of an imminent opening to generate cash flow. This might send the government and public banks into 'nod, nod, wink, wink, say no more' mode.

Also, keep in mind that the grant to convert the Key Largo / Del Mar property was only $300K. Nothing has been happening with that property either, not even banner. The list of needed improvrments just to bring it to code has been growing. No doubt the available funds have been shrinking.

Lastly, don't assume public CR banks follow the same rules as other private international banks. The publicly owned banks here take measures to support the Central Bank such as buying government bonds when nobody else will.

I could be wrong, December 1st is only 3 weeks away. Winter is coming....

All could be this way...in any case it does not seem that likely that it will open back up in some similar manner to the past. Who knows though. It probably makes most financial sense if it did, but time only will tell us.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 12:59 am 

Boynton wrote:
PS: Word on the sam streets is that La Fortuna will be hosting the Olympic Winter Games in 2030. (If enough people start talking about it, it might come true.)

Shit, I completely missed those words, but now that you mention it, that would explain the new bobsled course going up on Arenal......

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 8:15 pm 

Read on another forum a post from a reliable poster that he walked by the HDR a few days ago and he saw workmen putting up Christmas decorations inside. Sounds like they are planning to open in some form. Haven't heard if they are booking rooms yet. It would be great even if they had only the old bar up and running. If they build it, we will come.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 9:32 pm 

Jawanker wrote:
Read on another forum a post from a reliable poster that he walked by the HDR a few days ago and he saw workmen putting up Christmas decorations inside. Sounds like they are planning to open in some form. Haven't heard if they are booking rooms yet. It would be great even if they had only the old bar up and running. If they build it, we will come.

Only 35 more drinking days until Christmas.

https://www.diarioextra.com/Noticia/det ... brir-local

No rooms, bar only.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 11:03 pm 

Boynton wrote:
Jawanker wrote:

Only 35 more drinking days until Christmas.

https://www.diarioextra.com/Noticia/det ... brir-local

No rooms, bar only.

Dang, more CR red tape. 36 days including Christmas.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 2:52 pm 
Ticas ask me for advice!

Location: Pérez Zeledón home of possibly thee most beautiful women in the world.
Article says it was closed previously for the same thing. Does anyone recall it ever being closed before?

Costa Rica: We make easy, hard........

Hoe Dog koo koo ka choo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 4:47 pm 

Elkarlos wrote:
Article says it was closed previously for the same thing. Does anyone recall it ever being closed before?

My speculation is that the first time was immediately before the pandemic after Big John's girlfriend & heir ran it into the ground. At that time Annex Gran Hotel Sociedad Anónima, which covers Hotel El Rey, owed 213,547,052 colones in CCSS fees. This got cleared sometime after July 20 2020. Then the Jaco hotel boys started planning the remodel / repurposing of the property into the long-stay "family friendly" project. I further speculate this ran into some problems and the yellow tape went up again around October of this year.

There is no ignoring there are rumors on the street of a December 'return to glory', after all why would some drunks, hookers, uber drivers, and RockinRob's brother make this shit up? Perhaps a cooler full of beer and a crock pot of Swedish meatballs? I've got my mistletoe belt buckle all shined up and ready to wear if it happens.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:46 am 
Not a Newbie I just don't post much!

A couple things. We all know if it is print then it is true. Secondly my brother would never fold for a mere case of beer and swedish meatballs...there would need to be a bottle of 15 year old single malt and a couple Monte Cristo White cigars thrown into the mix. That being said I hope that the DR does open in December so at least Boynton can get his mistletoe belt buckle polished for Christmas.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 10:54 am 

RockinRob1 wrote:
A couple things. We all know if it is print then it is true. Secondly my brother would never fold for a mere case of beer and swedish meatballs...there would need to be a bottle of 15 year old single malt and a couple Monte Cristo White cigars thrown into the mix. That being said I hope that the DR does open in December so at least Boynton can get his mistletoe belt buckle polished for Christmas.

DR opened or closed, hovia has promised a Christmas polishing. FYI - my home bar is well stocked with Laphroiag 10yr. I prefer Islay malts and 20yr Tawny Ports.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2022 3:29 pm 

SinCity wrote:
Bookie wrote:
What's "all inclusive" mean?

duh!!! all the pu*sy u can Phuck is included 8)

Oh, Phuck! If only that were true.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2022 4:34 pm 

Boynton wrote:
promised a Christmas polishing.

(in Mandy Patinkin voice) I do not think that means what you think it means :)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 1:16 am 
Just Learning The Gulch!

https://hoteldelrey.com/ The Website is working. They're either messing with us or there are plans to reopen. I will break up with my GF (or not even say a word :wink: ) and venture into the belly of the beast if they're reopening. Too many good memories here.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:10 pm 
Ticas ask me for advice!

So who has tried to book a room through the website or looked for contact information to call and check the hotel status?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 70 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next