www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: This should go over well
PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 1:22 pm 
PHD From Del Rey University!

"QCOSTARICA – December is around the corner and with that comes the “aguinaldo”, the annual bonus or so-called thirteenth salary, paid to all salaried employees in the private and public sector. :D

... The Ministry of Labor quantified 240,000 private sector workers, equivalent to 23.5% of the little more than one million workers in the private sector, will be impacted by a reduced Aguinaldo.... :cry:

.... In the public sector, there are definite numbers. The 324,000 civil servants will receive 100% of the bonus because 99% of the state payroll did not suffer suspensions or reductions in working hours despite the fall in tax collection ... :shock:

.... The Ministry of Finance reported that it will have no problems to deposit a total of ¢220 billion colones on December 4, to be received by 139,058 active officials of the Central Government ... :evil:

The Aguinaldo must be paid by law by not later than December 20 ..."
https://qcostarica.com/private-sector-e ... -december/

In a related story, EPA (Tico Home Depot), reports a run on Tiki Torches, Fuel, and Pitchforks. The government ascribes this to an increased interest in gardening and outdoor grilling during the holiday season. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2020 1:57 pm 

Pretty funny, and yet,not.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2020 6:26 pm 

Public employees began recieving their aguinaldo yesterday 4-Dec (200 billion colones). All aguinaldos must be paid by 20-Dec.

In other news, Mexican milk processor, LaLa, announced this week they were pulling out of Costa Rica because of goverment protectionism and redeploying their capital to Guatemala and Nicaragua. This leaves 70 CR milk producers with no place to sell their milk. Can someone explain why Dos Pinos products (the protected brand) cost less in Panama than in San Jose. The Mexican Chamber of Entrepreneurs hinted that more Mexican firms may also exit Costa Rica.
https://qcostarica.com/costa-rica-mexic ... ectionism/

Also, despite the strikes and protests last month, the government announced yesterday they are going ahead and seek a $1.75 Billion IMF loan. They are promising to cut public spending by 2023. President Alvarado's term ends May 9, 2022 and he cannot run for a second consecutive term. Nod, nod, wink, wink.
https://qcostarica.com/carlos-alvarado- ... o-the-imf/

With all this news, how are the streets today? Well crowded in some places because some people just got money!
https://www.crhoy.com/nacionales/fotos- ... as-calles/

Personally, I had to wait 15 minutes today for an Uber from Clinica Biblica to my apartment near the Taormina. I was there buying my monthly medications. They had insulin, but did not have syringes. How the Phuck does a major private hospital pharmacy have insulin but not the syringes needed to use it? If you live here you soon learn how to hoard. Puta Vida

Last edited by Boynton on Sun Dec 06, 2020 2:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 12:53 am 

Dos Pingas has the absolute most boring bland cheese I have ever eaten and I've eaten cheese all over the USA and numerous countries.

If you gave me a pound of it I would pay you to take it back, normally I would give it away, but probably starving homeless San Jose street bums won't want it either...

They need some competition, to say it tastes awful is an understatement... :evil:

I have no choice but to always buy imported cheese, which costs more per ounce here than silver...

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 1:17 am 

12 years ago I managed a division of a huge internet call center here.

We employed at any time around 200 Ticos and Ticas who spoke English, and the starting pay was $1,000 a month and workers there who graduated to junior management positions could take home $1,500 to $2,000, monster paychecks for CR, keep in mind also this was 2007-2009.

CR harassed and fleeced the company unmercifully, and inspectors showed up every month issuing threats and demanding payoffs.

Finally the company, based in Great Britain, had enough and moved operations to Eastern Europe, The Czech Republic, who welcomed them with open arms and all kinds of benefits.

Costa Rica lost 200 well paying jobs and a fat tax base, they since have expanded in Europe to almost 400 employees, who would be in CR now, all earning minimum starting pay of a g note a month. Top earners now earn $2500 to $3000. That's G*d's paycheck to a Tico.

A friend of mine had a sewing company here, employed about a dozen ticas, they were making $800 a month, no English, uneducated and unskilled, $800 a month is great for unskilled uneducated labor here.

Same deal, abuse, fleecing and harassment. He moved his operation to Nicaragua, and Nicaragua treats him and his small company like gold.

I live in an affluent suburb of Escazu, one retired Tico neighbor with a gorgeous home, one of if not the biggest most gorgeous homes in the hood, I asked was he a retired doctor? Lawyer? Business owner? Engineer? Nope, retired government employee, lol.

They get monster pensions, equal to many USA government employee fat retirement plans, in a country where the average pay is under 10k a year...

There's problems brewing here... :evil:

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2020 10:04 am 
CR Virgin - Newbie!

Yup. Been brewing a long time. They seem to be bound and determined to go full Argentina. One should never go full Argentina. Be interesting to see what happens if the government ever misses a payroll.