www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: No Kolbi at SJO?
PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 6:37 am 
CR Virgin - Newbie!

I read on another board that you can no longer buy a travel SIM at the airport, is that true? The said this just happened recently. Anyone that has traveled to SJO recently with info would be appreciated.
Thank you

Post subject: Re: No Kolbi at SJO?
PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:13 pm 
CR Virgin - Newbie!

When I was there over the Holidays I noticed that they removed the booth in the luggage belt area.
I did not find any other cell phone store and the area that it occupied was now empty.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:12 pm 
CR Virgin - Newbie!

That’s what I read. Thank you for the reply

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 2:06 pm 
Not a Newbie I just don't post much!

I went through a couple weeks ago and yes the Kolbi kiosk was gone, but the other company (Claro I think. The red one) was there. It was in the opposite corner of the room from where you enter through the duty free store. Kind of near the exit at the customs conveyor belt.
I talked to them, but did not purchase. I may be completely wrong about this but what I remember from Kolbi was that it was $5 for 1 week of cell service with unlimited data. Even if I am remembering that wrong I definitely remember it being a really good deal.

Claro was asking $20-$25. Not unlimited data, but it was plenty and he added that Whatsapp did not count towards your data usage at all which I think for most of us is all that matters. If it was for a full month then technically that would be the same price, but still I passed.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:56 am 
Most people just buy the activated SIM chip prepago that's comes with some money on it. Data and calls. Then reload at many stores and supermarkets. I only use 4mil a month using prepago.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:29 pm 
Ticas ask me for advice!

Zman wrote:
Most people just buy the activated SIM chip prepago that's comes with some money on it. Data and calls. Then reload at many stores and supermarkets. I only use 4mil a month using prepago.

Is that pretty much a no-brainer to do a switcharoo on your iphone ? ( I wouldn't care if anyone in the U.S. tried to reach me during my CR/MDE stay - don't have a lot of connections here ).

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:19 pm 
Not a Newbie I just don't post much!

There are a lot of variables there. The technical answer is "Maybe."
It should be, but your phone has to be unlocked. That just means for example that if you bought your phone under contract with AT&T they might have locked the phone to only be used with their network.
It is a normal request to unlock it. You would just have to call your carrier and ask them to unlock it.
I don't know if it is still the case but for a while Verizon would boast that all their phones were unlocked.

There are also some details regarding the IMEI number of the phone being associated to the account, but I have never had that be a problem there. I think that might be a U.S. carrier thing.

I typically bring my most recently retired cellphone along with my current cellphone so the older one becomes my CR phone and my new current phone stays in the room. I know it is unlocked and the IMEI is not associated to anything. I also don't worry about the older one getting lost, dropped or walking away.

Here is a link
https://mytanfeet.com/about-cr/prepaid- ... osta-rica/

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 6:40 pm 
Ticas ask me for advice!

Techlife97 wrote:
There are a lot of variables there. The technical answer is "Maybe."
It should be, but your phone has to be unlocked. That just means for example that if you bought your phone under contract with AT&T they might have locked the phone to only be used with their network.
It is a normal request to unlock it. You would just have to call your carrier and ask them to unlock it.
I don't know if it is still the case but for a while Verizon would boast that all their phones were unlocked.

There are also some details regarding the IMEI number of the phone being associated to the account, but I have never had that be a problem there. I think that might be a U.S. carrier thing.

I typically bring my most recently retired cellphone along with my current cellphone so the older one becomes my CR phone and my new current phone stays in the room. I know it is unlocked and the IMEI is not associated to anything. I also don't worry about the older one getting lost, dropped or walking away.

Here is a link
https://mytanfeet.com/about-cr/prepaid- ... osta-rica/

Good info! Thanks. I'll see if I could get att to unlock mine.