www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:28 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: RIP Don Gordo
PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:58 pm 
Ticas ask me for advice!

I agree with everything said about Don Gordo. Definitely one of the good fellas. I remember when I first signed up for CRT and reading his post about Costa Del Sol a restaurant he really liked. At the time I used to stay at the Prez and read the place was a block away. I was befuddled because I had no recollection of ever seeing the place. One day I set out to find it and must of walked right by it 3-4 times on Avenida Central. I was like WTF where is this place? I was looking for a regular kind of restaurant and this place was just a little hole in the wall. Don Gordo loved the food there and he didnt care that it was just a hole in the wall. That was part of his charm just give him a good meal, some drinks with friends and a hot chica and he was good to go. Sorry to hear that he was stricken with cancer as that is a brutal way to go. May he RIP.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 3:13 pm 
Ticas ask me for advice!

Don Gordo was a true pioneer. I recall stumbling across his website back in the early days and getting some very useful information about the mongering scene in CR. I met him for the first time at the Halloween Bash roll call way back in 2003. Here is a link to his website http://www.dongordo.com/. His walking tour of San Jose was extremely helpful. RIP Don Gordo.

Post subject: RIP Don Gordo
PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 3:43 pm 
PHD From Del Rey University!

From his daughter via Facebook

It’s been extremely difficult to muster the strength to make this post, but here it goes…early Wednesday morning, I lost a piece of my heart when my father, Rick ****, passed away due to complications from pneumonia. He died peacefully in Boca Raton, Florida…the same town he moved to almost 30 years ago. He had enjoyed 5 wonderful years of retirement and always lived life to the fullest with no regrets. He loved to travel, especially to Costa Rica, where they called him Don Gordo (The Fat Man), a name that stuck with him back home. He loved cooking (and especially eating) and always knew where to find a good bargain! He loved to play golf with a good cigar, and he avidly supported his Boston sports teams (although he had become a Florida team fan as well). He was fiercely independent and never took any shit from anyone! Mostly, he had an enormous heart and was a generous man who always had something to give or share. I am thankful for the 45 years I had him in my life and will cherish the memories of all the good times we had together. In his honor, I ask you all to do the things that make you happy every day. Enjoy life, smile and spread joy whenever you can. That’s what my Dad did.

[IMG]http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/11/29/8f02d48651c652db4c74f64b26dc12a2.jpg[/IMG]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 6:39 pm 

Very sad news indeed. I enjoyed many of his birthday parties in the gulch and the incredible dinners at Costa del Sol. Don was one of the true, original Goodfellaz. It was always a pleasure shootin' the shit with him over a cocktail with a good stick in hand. Condolences to his entire family.

May you rest in peace my friend. :(

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 7:20 pm 

RIP, Don Gordo. I met him at Key Largo years ago, and kept on bumping into him throughout the years I visited the gulch. DG was a happy, cheerful guy who knew how to enjoy life. It's sad that he only got to enjoy retirement for 5 years.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:51 pm 
Site Admin

To the Man, The Myth, The Legend... RIP Mi Amigo.... You were the very 1st guy I ever met in Costa Rica sitting on the Rail at the Presidente telling war stores to the multitudes. You took me & Duardo the the Park Hotel for oil spreading and raffle winning BJ's... :)

You had Dongordo.com long before I ever came up with the idea for CRT and it was your story of catching the elusive "Pink Snapper" that inspired me and so many others to chase the dream in Costa Rica.

You were awarded the very 1st CRT VIP LIFETIME CARD at our 1st anniversary party back in 2005 and your contributions, your smiling face and your never ending supply of Pocket Rockets are surely to be remembered by everyone who ever crossed your path.

May you rest in Eternal Peace my friend I for one shall miss you.

Tomas

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:09 pm 

I had the pleasure of drinking with him @ Bar Idem & the SL, dining with him (chicken parm of course, the dg special) @ Costa del Sol, & playing cards with him @ the DR. Was great to listen to the old master talk during my early trips to CR. In the last few years he started traveling to Vegas a lot & many times stopped in where I work on the strip, said hi & we caught up & reminisced about fast times in San Jose. A true man's man.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 12:15 am 

[quote="Admin 1" You took me & Duardo the the Park Hotel for oil spreading and raffle winning BJ's... :)

[/quote]

thats a little disturbing :P
only stopped him for a quick chat 3 or 4 times and he was clearly a gentleman
best to his family and his memory and impact clearly will always be felt
too many boys fading away....

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 3:07 am 

I met Rick in Costa Rica in August of 2006, on my second trip there. I met a few nice guys on my first trip in May of that year, but many more in August.

I had been reading this board for a few months and wanted very much to be accepted to the CRT brotherhood.

As luck would have it, my birthday fell the day after his. I attended the 2006 Don Gordo Birthday Bash at the Costa del Sol Italian restaurant in Downtown San Jose. The pre-party met at the Del Rey, and legend after legend (in my mind at least) appeared: DG himself, Vegas Bob, Irish Drifter, Muffdiver, Paco Loco and on and on. I found one and all to be very humble and giving and were kind enough to let this newbie hang with them. At Costa Del Sol, the owners put us in the upstairs room at a large table. To a man, everyone was filled with good energy, a party spirit and an acknowledgment that 'our thing' transcended the girls: we were a brotherhood, and this was a fellowship. That is what Don Gordo inspired. During the dinner, plate after plate arrived; drink after drink was enjoyed; toast after toast was made. It was an experience I will always remember. After a wonderful dinner, we all made our way to Idem and celebrated further. I recall that "Mack the Knife" came on the jukebox, and Rick and Muffy sang along. Rick had a wonderful booming operatic voice and I will never forget that song and that party. After drinks, Rick insisted that I join him at the Del Rey to celebrate his birthday further, with cake, and to toast my birthday at midnight. He shared his birthday cake with me and then at midnight, took off his t-shirt that read "HOY ES MI CUMPLEANOS," and gave it to me. That became a tradition for the next four years, until I stopped traveling to Costa Rica. We kept in touch through facebook and he would tell me that he missed our birthday toasts.

He initiated me into the brotherhood that was CRT.He was a kind, sweet and wonderful man and I will miss him.

I have to tell a couple of stories about him. One time we were drinking at Sportsmens and he was displaying his pocket legendary pocket rocket to a chica. Not to be out done, the girl pulled a 8" vibrator out of her purse. Without missing a beat, Rick evoked Crocodile Dundee, pointed to his pocket rocket and said, "you call that a knife?" :D On another occasion, again at SL, we were drinking and telling lies. Don Gordo was making time with a cutie, and she said that she'd like a trio with him and her girlfriend. Rick said "Why a trio? I've only got one dick?" She gave the perfect response which caused us both to crack up (and me to blow my drink out of my nose) , "Because you have two nipples and an asshole!"

RIP Don Gordo! Que dencanses en paz y que Dios te bendiga por siempre!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 4:58 pm 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

R.I.P. Don Gordo.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 7:51 pm 
Ticas ask me for advice!

I'm sorry I did not had the pleasure. You sound like one hell of a dude.

RIP Don Gordo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 8:40 pm 

There is no way that anyone who met DG will ever forget him! RIP amigo

"Predators gather where prey abounds"

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:08 pm 

RIP Don Gordo...I never met him but thanks to him I know Idem & Costa Del Sol(chicken parm.). Seems everyone does. By most commenters, the two places are synonymous with Don Gordo. This news makes me wish to take the time and make a point of meeting more CRTers.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:25 pm 

I met him once at a CRT Event at Hooters in Hollywood Florida. He sat next to me at the table and told me some funny jokes about Boston and other things. Seemed like a great chap!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:55 pm 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

very, very sorry to hear this news. RIP DG