www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: RIP Pacoloco
PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:14 pm 
Ticas ask me for advice!

Ciaociao32001 wrote:
Many of us had the privilege of spending time with him and for a group of us who travelled to Medellin in July of 2009, his companionship and that sparkle in his eye enhanced the trip greatly.
I was fortunate to be a part of that trip. That was the the first time I met PacoLoco and turned out to be the only time also. I had read a bunch of his posts on CRT prior to meeting him and I remember that one of things that struck me when we got to spend some time together during that week was how different he was in person than his online persona.

I remember him as being mellow and reserved, yet easy to talk to and willing to share his experiences and opinions freely. He was just a really nice guy and a good housemate. A very low maintenance travel partner. And though our paths never crossed again I always enjoyed reading his posts on CRT and considered him to be really good people.

Whenever something like this happens to one of your peers, it's yet another wakeup call that life is short and fragile. Keep in touch with friends, travel as much as you can, and enjoy what you're doing. RIP Scott. Though your time ended way too soon, it is obvious in reading through this thread that you left your mark on many.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 9:23 pm 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

In Vegas, they dim the lights when a legend passes, perhaps Bill at the Lodge could dim the bar lights for a few seconds in tribute to a true legend.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:15 am 
PHD From Del Rey University!

I don 't know what his drink of choice was, but possibly naming a drink at the SL after him would be nice.

Health & happiness

Steve

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:29 am 
Ticas ask me for advice!

RIP Pacoloco! He lived the CRT lifestyle and was an example for many.... including myself.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2015 9:47 am 

I fail to understand why this sad announcement was not on general information in the regular format. I for one, hardly ever go to the VIP heading and did not know until a fellow member informed me. There has to be countless past members that are no longer VIP's and visit this site only randomly. I just spoke to one late yesterday who had no knowledge of our dear friend's passing....and he was shocked. This post in no way is a discredit to this very unfortunate news.

Again, my heart goes out to his family and friends. I will certainly miss him.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 11:04 am 

I had no idea he was ill. I have lost several young friends to cancer and this is painful. I wish his family and friends peace. We will miss him. RIP Scott.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:25 pm 

True Sportsman wrote:
Gentlemen,

Scott was a good man with an incredible sense of humor. He was a gentleman. I loved it when he and Latino Heat would make their trips here in San Jose.

I knew how sick he was but he had told me he was beating the cancer after the original surgery and the chemo. This is a tough blow. He will be missed here at Sportsmens Lodge and especially by me personally.

One thing, Scott was not a smoker, he picked up his lung cancer another way, perhaps second hand smoke? but he did not smoke cigartettes.

This is the second person I know who, in the last six months, has died of lung cancer, AND IS A NON SMOKER. I don't think hanging out in smokey bars does non-smokers any favors. I gave up both 8 years ago and feel much better.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:51 pm 

RIP, Paco. We never met, but got to know each other through pm's on CRT and ISOC. Prayers to his family.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 2:09 am 

Sad News. Knowing his penchant for witty banter, I was hoping the headline was a joke. I enjoyed his posts and knowledge of CR especially during a time, "back in the day," where there seemed to be a plethora of new and informational posts. I will have a "Salud" for you on my next visit and I know you liked these emoticons:shock: :shock: :shock:

Also, some of you mentioned how young he was, how old was he? It is incredible about the reach and gravity of cancer. I have heard too many stories in the last couple of weeks, 2nd today. I hope his last days were in peace and had the opportunity to cherish those around him. This post really makes me think and reassess. By his posts, he really was a doer and enjoyer of life and "left it all on the field."

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 10:21 am 

CaptainCohiba wrote:
Also, some of you mentioned how young he was, how old was he?
According to the obituary, he was 51. Much too young to die, but we never know when our number will be called.

I never met him, but his posts were always good. RIP Pacoloco.

Last edited by GoodDayJohn on Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 4:10 pm 

Yes, way too young....he was at the halftime of his life and I could imagine what he would have packed into the "2nd half." A lesson for us all to enjoy this life, laugh more(as I bet Paco always did) and find a way to live it like no tomorrow.

So I feel compelled to write this:

I woke up this morning feeling different. Unfortunately, this is already the second time this year this has happened to me. I read the news about Paco Loco last night and woke up feeling affected and down about it. A little strange for me to feel a sense of mourning because I never met Paco Loco, I never PM'd him, maybe we commented on each others' posts. He was a prolific poster on CRT and one of The Originals(OG's :lol: ). His posts were many; informative, insightful, light-hearted & funny(you could easily see he was a good guy), and sometimes even sophomoric and not really my cup of tea... but I get it, he has a bunch of friends here and is having a good time with his buds :D. Cool. Btw, I am throwing in some emoticons since he always liked them. It is obvious those around him enjoyed him immensely. But why am I affected by someone I didn't know and why I am I thinking about it so much today? I really don't know except that even though, "I didn't know him, I knew him."

So here I am feeling bummed by this news this morning and I go back and read some of his old posts. And how great they were. And a lot of his "usual" friends and old time CRT'ers who are on now, and some seemingly haven't been on the board anymore. It made me nostalgic for the time when I first started posting on CRT and it was just so different. There was such a wide variance of posters(characters really :lol: ) trip reports, and helpful information and Paco Loco was right dab in the middle of it keeping it going wether commenting, helping, or just cutting up with his friends. As I recently just started back on CRT, those times, although, not long ago, were so different with so much passion and posts about this paradise we all found. It used to be in a day or two there were so many posts and posters that just about the full page of every thread topic filled up and changed to new page. Thinking and ruminating on Paco Loco and his posts and those times really made me miss the old days of CRT, and the old posters who were on and commenting all the time. I will miss the posts by one Senior Paco Loco, and thanks for the read as I went back in time today. I said I would have a "salud" for you when I am back in CR, but I may have many, hell, I will dedicate a whole night to you :arrow:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:44 am 
I can do CR without a wingman!

Hello friends,

I am deeply saddened by the news of the passing of our friend Scott. I met him a couple of times on my adventures about 7-8 years ago. I remember him well, I know he will be missed.

My condolences to his friends and family.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2015 3:44 pm 

Just received this news from a CRT brother and logged in since I was shocked. Even though not as active on CRT these days, I have fond memories of many friends like PacoLoco who were the original VIPs and good guys when we started this site so many years ago. Another proof for the song "Only the good die young". I join the chorus of CRT brothers who mourn his loss. I would also suggest that he put a lot of living into his short 51 years...doing it "his way". May his example of gentlemanly living continue to live on in those of us who knew him.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:37 pm 

Like many others, I remember very fondly his many posts. He was a CRT icon in my opinion. I joined sometime around 2004 and he was a member of that very special brotherhood that was CRT from the early 2000's till around 2010 or so when things started to change. I'm certain that there is a Del Rey, Heaven and that he is enjoying eternal bliss there. He will be sorely missed. R.I.P. my Friend, my Brother.

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 9:25 pm 

Pacoloco will be missed. This news makes me feel a little older. Paco was one of the very first CRT guys I met on my second trip to San Jose over 10 years ago and had seen him numerous times since.
Rip my freind. rbc100

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next