www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:09 am 
PHD From Del Rey University!

Netgems wrote:
Mattyice wrote:
I was at the WWII museum in New Orleans last weekend. During the buildup to D-day, the Americans were occupying Great Britain. I read with amusement how many British soon came to resent Americans because of their higher pay, partying, and hooking up with their women. Americans were brash, boisterous, and flaunted their money. The British referred to them as "overpaid, oversexed, and over here." British girls saw the US as a "magic country" and that the American "proneness to spoil a girl" made them the most attractive boyfriends.

I think that may be what many Ticos secretly think of gringos in their country. However, I still find most Ticos to be friendly people as long as you treat them with respect.

Imagine that! American service men and women risk their lives, leave their jobs and families, travel 1/2 way around the world to protect some people and instead of showering them with appreciation, they are resented !!! perhaps they might have preferred to learn German and marching ??? :evil: :evil: :evil:

I can only imagine that you fortunately never walked through the San Francisco Intl Airport, in uniform, during the Viet Nam war. I can guarantee you that I was showered, but not with appreciation, and this was by Americans.

Health & happiness to all..............

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 12:57 pm 

Santas Bro wrote:
Netgems wrote:
Mattyice wrote:
I was at the WWII museum in New Orleans last weekend. During the buildup to D-day, the Americans were occupying Great Britain. I read with amusement how many British soon came to resent Americans because of their higher pay, partying, and hooking up with their women. Americans were brash, boisterous, and flaunted their money. The British referred to them as "overpaid, oversexed, and over here." British girls saw the US as a "magic country" and that the American "proneness to spoil a girl" made them the most attractive boyfriends.

I think that may be what many Ticos secretly think of gringos in their country. However, I still find most Ticos to be friendly people as long as you treat them with respect.

Imagine that! American service men and women risk their lives, leave their jobs and families, travel 1/2 way around the world to protect some people and instead of showering them with appreciation, they are resented !!! perhaps they might have preferred to learn German and marching ??? :evil: :evil: :evil:

I can only imagine that you fortunately never walked through the San Francisco Intl Airport, in uniform, during the Viet Nam war. I can guarantee you that I was showered, but not with appreciation, and this was by Americans.

It was a disgusting time in our history - agree or disagree with government policy, but support the soldier - period.

At least the individual soldier is respected these days, in stark contrast to the days of the Vietnam war

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:47 pm 

Location: NFM--Geezers, cowpokes and the working poor--yeeha!
Scuba1 wrote:
It was a disgusting time in our history - agree or disagree with government policy, but support the soldier - period.

At least the individual soldier is respected these days, in stark contrast to the days of the Vietnam war

As an aside, remember a good % of the US Army and some Marines were not in the whichever-service by choice--they were conscripted i.e. no choice. These days, there is choice (although it is for a large number, a good one giving them a leg up the opportunity ladder). Only 1 of 7 in the Armed Forces is in the combat arms sector (I could be wrong on this exact # but not the concept). If I had a grandson or daughter who had medium-to-poor prospects in life, I take'm down to the recruiters and negotiate the best I could to get them a training-for-the-future MOS/Rating in return for my gran signing on for a longer-term obligation (you'd be foolish to not go on those terms, making sure the obligation by the Service was iron-clad). That completed training and subsequent OJT skill-honing, can be transferred into the private sector instantly (employers know how good most of the schools are) if a Service career doesn't do it.

PS--Everything I said above especially was me dismal prospects (bounced out of college, working in a second-rate discount warehouse) AND the leg up came true. I'm not a better man because I got a spark of smart and went in unconditionally: I'm a MAN because of it. Semper Fi.

Sorry about the hijacking but I had to say it. About the topic: I haven't had enough experience to comment.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:22 pm 
Not a Newbie I just don't post much!

"We could start with ripping Texas and California away from the Mexicans"

Mr. Jazzbo, I couldn't help but respond to this part of your post since I happen to live in Texas & hear that same or similar statement from the wonderful Mexicans sneaking across our southern border by the 100's or maybe 1000's every month. The US did not take Tejas from Mexico. The people living in Tejas (Mexican citizens) along with a small number of others from several states in the US fought Santa Anna & the Mexican Army for Texas independence. After the Mexican army massacred everyone at the Alamo in San Antonio, the individuals fighting for Texas independence spanked that Mexican Army's ass & captured Santa Anna who then signed over Tejas in exchange for his life. The Republic of Texas was then founded & years later joined the US. The capture site of Santa Anna happens to be about 8 miles from my office & we drive by it regularly. Sorry for the history lesson everyone, just trying to keep the Texas history straight. Besides, I'm sure all of you know how proud we Texans are of our state's history.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:50 am 

Location: NFM--Geezers, cowpokes and the working poor--yeeha!
Mitchy wrote:

Mr. Jazzbo, I couldn't help but respond to this part of your post since I happen to live in Texas & hear that same or similar statement from the wonderful Mexicans sneaking across our southern border by the 100's or maybe 1000's every month. The US did not take Tejas from Mexico. The people living in Tejas (Mexican citizens) along with a small number of others from several states in the US fought Santa Anna & the Mexican Army for Texas independence. After the Mexican army massacred everyone at the Alamo in San Antonio, the individuals fighting for Texas independence spanked that Mexican Army's ass & captured Santa Anna who then signed over Tejas in exchange for his life. The Republic of Texas was then founded & years later joined the US. The capture site of Santa Anna happens to be about 8 miles from my office & we drive by it regularly. Sorry for the history lesson everyone, just trying to keep the Texas history straight. Besides, I'm sure all of you know how proud we Texans are of our state's history.

...Especially the extending of slavery to a part of Mexico, which had outlawed it years earlier. Your view of Texas history is seriously flawed, as even a casual look would certify. There were no heroes in that war, just various shades of villain. BTW the Mexicans sneaking across the border? To escape from the horrific drug wars which are ripping Mexico apart? To supply US consumers? To do any kind of work which even Mexican-Americans have abandoned? And many of which aren't Mexicans but other Central Americans who are escaping the gangs and institutionalized violence that have been endemic to CA since the '70's (when we first started our alleged "war on drugs"?) You mean that part of Texas history? Because that's not history, it's frontier fantasy. For shame, Bro. I've lived in Texas and have a brother born there. "The first victim of war is the truth". You know the old saying--Give Texas an enema and it would be smaller than Rhode Island. Have a nice day.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:13 am 

Jazzbo, I see the two of us will never agree on any of those issues you mentioned except for the "so called war on drugs" which all of us know is nothing more than propaganda. It was not my intent to offend you in anyway by my statements but I obviously struck a few nerves. I sense you strongly dislike Texas & I do agree that living here is not for everyone. Now, this gringo will stop before this thread gets even further off its original topic. Best wishes!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:04 pm 

Santas Bro wrote:
Netgems wrote:
Mattyice wrote:

Has anything changed ? San Francisco, home of Nancy Pelosi and a city government that forces the citizens to pay for sex changes for it's government officials...It was there that one politician who shall remain unanimous, sipping chardonnay with pinky out, remarked with disgust at the rest of America, 'lost and pathetic souls clinging to their guns and religion..."

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:30 pm 

JazzboCR wrote:
Mitchy wrote:

...Especially the extending of slavery to a part of Mexico, which had outlawed it years earlier. Your view of Texas history is seriously flawed, as even a casual look would certify. There were no heroes in that war, just various shades of villain. BTW the Mexicans sneaking across the border? To escape from the horrific drug wars which are ripping Mexico apart? To supply US consumers? To do any kind of work which even Mexican-Americans have abandoned? And many of which aren't Mexicans but other Central Americans who are escaping the gangs and institutionalized violence that have been endemic to CA since the '70's (when we first started our alleged "war on drugs"?) You mean that part of Texas history? Because that's not history, it's frontier fantasy. For shame, Bro. I've lived in Texas and have a brother born there. "The first victim of war is the truth". You know the old saying--Give Texas an enema and it would be smaller than Rhode Island. Have a nice day.

ok guys. All lands have been fought over, both taken and lost. They all have human blood stains, and all land ownership is temporary. As for who holds it now ... who cares!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:06 am 

BashfulDwarf wrote:
JazzboCR wrote:
Mitchy wrote:

ok guys. All lands have been fought over, both taken and lost. They all have human blood stains, and all land ownership is temporary. As for who holds it now ... who cares!

Mr. Dwarf, my sincerest apologies & you are correct. My being a history major caused me to state historically accurate facts in response to the post. Then I was "attacked" by personal opinions & liberal justifications for the ILLEGAL immigration into the USA. I believe my Texas heritage was even insulted. I simply decided to bow out as a gentleman.

I guess my previous post should have actually been placed in a thread titled as DO YOU THINK CHICOS (from Mexico) DISLIKE GRINGOS (from Texas)? That's meant to be humorous for anyone without a sense of humor or that take things too personal.

On another note, I'm flying to CR on July 21st & would like to buy you a few cocktails if you are in the area that week. Never drank at a bar with a Bashful Dwarf before. Sounds entertaining!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:57 am 

Mitchy wrote:
BashfulDwarf wrote:
JazzboCR wrote:

Mr. Dwarf, my sincerest apologies & you are correct. My being a history major caused me to state historically accurate facts in response to the post. Then I was "attacked" by personal opinions & liberal justifications for the ILLEGAL immigration into the USA. I believe my Texas heritage was even insulted. I simply decided to bow out as a gentleman.

I guess my previous post should have actually been placed in a thread titled as DO YOU THINK CHICOS (from Mexico) DISLIKE GRINGOS (from Texas)? That's meant to be humorous for anyone without a sense of humor or that take things too personal.

On another note, I'm flying to CR on July 21st & would like to buy you a few cocktails if you are in the area that week. Never drank at a bar with a Bashful Dwarf before. Sounds entertaining!

...a couple of drinks in me and I ain't so Bashful anymore. :mrgreen: Just don't believe any photos or video you may be privy to.

I surely will not be in town that late in July. The first week is an anniversary for me, so I aim for that.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2023 2:32 am 
CR Virgin - Newbie!

CasaV wrote:
It's very tough to generalize, but I would say the majority of Tico's definitely dislike the majority of Gringos. Exceptions on both sides of the equation for sure.

One of the biggest reasons that I see for Ticos dislike of Gringos is the Gringos inability or unwillingness to abide by Costa Rican norms while in their country. Mongers taking putas to upscale restaurants and parading them around in public is a big no no. Being dressed in shorts and very casual shirts in public is a no no. Loudly complaining or confronting service people because of slow or bad service is a cultural taboo. There are a whole bunch more, but those are a few that happen with some regularity. g
Then of course there is also the dynamic of people who may not have very much resenting those who appear to them to have a lot. Lot's and lots of other factors.

What are some of the reasons why Ticos dislike Gringos? please let me know

Last edited by koko4 on Tue Oct 17, 2023 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2023 8:34 am 

koko4 wrote:
CasaV wrote:
It's very tough to generalize, but I would say the majority of Tico's definitely dislike the majority of Gringos. Exceptions on both sides of the equation for sure.

One of the biggest reasons that I see for Ticos dislike of Gringos is the Gringos inability or unwillingness to abide by Costa Rican norms while in their country. Mongers taking putas to upscale restaurants and parading them around in public is a big no no. Being dressed in shorts and very casual shirts in public is a no no. Loudly complaining or confronting service people because of slow or bad service is a cultural taboo. There are a whole bunch more, but those are a few that happen with some regularity.

Then of course there is also the dynamic of people who may not have very much resenting those who appear to them to have a lot. Lot's and lots of other factors.

What are some of the reasons why Ticos dislike Gringos? please let me know

The quote you included is part of it for sure. And in addition it is typical that "have nots" resent the "haves". That is universal and applies to people that are seen as wealthy versus people that see themselves as poor. In CR it seems that there is an idea that it is morally acceptable to take things from the wealthy, especially from those from the gringo lands

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2023 10:45 am 

Mitchy wrote:

+ 100 I am a proud Texas also

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2023 8:20 pm 

What ever happened to Mr. Devlin anyway?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7