www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:57 pm 
Here's my post from another current thread about price differences at NF for gringos and ticos. That thread kind of went in many directions, but one of the directions it went, in my opinion--the q of whether there is a hidden disdain for us by them, is worthy of further exploration, so without hijacking the original thread, here's kind of how that issue started:

Orange said in the other thread: "Gimme a break, Ticos hate us for the most part. They think we are ruining (ruined) their country."

I responded: "I know that comes as a shock to most of us. Affable, friendly, courteous towards us is the norm 95% of the time. Why they hate us is another question with many possible answers. Not sure if they know. But it's engrained.

I have access to a FB page due to being a silent partner with a Tico so that I can keep a pulse on what's going on where I hang. It's his picture and his friends, some of whom are also mine. He also friends the Ticos I want. Unwritten rule, no gringos friended on this FB circle centered around a tourist town of 5,000, otherwise I would have put my own FB hat in the ringer. Unfriended promptly if they do.

He said man are you going to be surprised. That turned out to be the understatement of my life.

At first I was in disbelief at comments by people that I've known a long time. Hurt even.

Here's a sample from this week, translated the best I can, from a guy who is the ex bro-in-law of my novia and who I see and socialize with often because his son and my girl's son are the same age and play together (cousins). Works at a popular gringo bar and I know he does well there, tips I mean, alot of gringos I know go to that bar just to say howdy to him: He posted:

"Dry season is coming and so are the lizards".

Another guy I don't know then commented:

"Gringos? My God! Phuck the gringos, if you see one lying under the water, don't give him a bamboo stick to breathe".

Just a sample but typical and recurrent whenever there's a window. And I've taken a few shots as has my novia because of me but never to my face, (glad she's 15 klicks out in the country side w/ no FB/internet and little contact with town).

Sometimes I think since they don't differentiate Americans and other countries--I mean to them Americans and Euro's are both gringo's, and they really ain't crazy about the non-tipping Euro's, we get lumped together in a tourist town's mentality. Just my mind trying to figure why they hate us who for the most part are nothing but good to them in my experiences.

I'll leave it to Jazz to find that 60's or 70's song "Smiling Faces"."

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:00 pm 
PHD From Del Rey University!

+1 ... for topic.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:42 pm 

I'm sure there's a mix of everything in between..some dislike, some are ok, etc whatev..

Generally I think the overall sentiment may be that mongers have more money than sense..

Cujo

"Pain is the fuel that fans the flames of my pyre. A battle plan is only as good as the general carrying it out on the field. This is my war son, and I have the biggest bombs and the smallest conscience"...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:49 pm 
Here's what BangBang57 posted this in the original thread at about the same time I started this thread so they crossed in the mail so to speak. Provides insight into what I have termed "engrained". I have advised him that I have clipped and pasted his comment here.

BB said: "There are many and varied reasons why the Ticos, and for that matter, people in many countries do not like Gringos, some I will not go into here because most gringos do not want to be told they are arrogant, self-centered, egotistical, asses in the eyes of people in many countries. One of the main reasons Ticos in particular do not like us goes back quite a few years to when a war and 2 natural disasters hit Nicaragua all in a year or so. The country was devastated, people were dying by the thousands, and the US told Costa Rica "You will let 1 milliom Nicaraguenes into your country or we will cut off all your aid from the US". Since Ticos have been in a hate relationship with Nicaraguenes for 200 years, this went over like a lead balloon. I compare the way most Ticos feel toward Nicas as being very similar to how most southerners felt about blacks back in the 30s, 40s, 50s. I have seen more than one Tica refuse to even walk thru the park that is commonly called "Nica Park" for fear someone might see her there and think she was a Nica. For those that did not know, now you know one of the main reason there are so many Nicas here and one of the reasons many Ticos do not like America nor the Americans!!"

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:00 pm 

By coincidence, JUST TODAY a favorita told me that she doesn't like most U.S. gringos because they are usually arrogant, self-centered, egotistical, asses.

But she thinks differently of me (and my wallet). :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 6:29 pm 
Not a Newbie I just don't post much!

It's very tough to generalize, but I would say the majority of Tico's definitely dislike the majority of Gringos. Exceptions on both sides of the equation for sure.

One of the biggest reasons that I see for Ticos dislike of Gringos is the Gringos inability or unwillingness to abide by Costa Rican norms while in their country. Mongers taking putas to upscale restaurants and parading them around in public is a big no no. Being dressed in shorts and very casual shirts in public is a no no. Loudly complaining or confronting service people because of slow or bad service is a cultural taboo. There are a whole bunch more, but those are a few that happen with some regularity.

Then of course there is also the dynamic of people who may not have very much resenting those who appear to them to have a lot. Lot's and lots of other factors.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:04 pm 

i think everyone hates everyone thats not like them. its universal. say it out loud or say it in private its not a tico problem thats for sure.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:10 pm 

Location: Downtown San Jose, Costa Rica, the BELLY of the BEAST
I haven't run into much hostility towards me, personally. But it's not hard to see how Ticos might not like the gringos that come down to visit, particularly the mongers. Too many mongers think that because they aren't back home and because there is so much "sin" around, that they have license to act like 14 year olds. Too many think that there are no rules here, and that they can get away with anything. And many DO get away with things that wouldn't be tolerated back home. But just because they can get away with being assholes doesn't mean nobody considers them assholes.

Aside from paying for sex, if you are doing ANYTHING that you would not be doing at home, you're probably being a jerk. If you're grabbing ass of waitresses, making lewd suggestions, staring, being loud or whatever, if it doesn't fly in North America it's not welcome here, even though the girls may pretend to like you because they need to pay the rent. Likewise taxi drives, etc. I don't think many Ticos hate ALL Americans, but I suspect many don't like a fair percentage of those they encounter down here. mongers especially.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:17 pm 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

How are we defining a "Gringo" here? Is it any male from the USA? Is it any male from North America? Is it any male that doesn't live in a Spanish speaking country? If a guy from Spain visits CR is he a Gringo? Do you have to be white to be a Gringo?

Devo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:57 pm 

CasaV wrote:
........................... Mongers taking putas to upscale restaurants and parading them around in public is a big no no. Being dressed in shorts and very casual shirts in public is a no no..............................................

I've said it before and I'll say it again. A guy in shorts walking down the sidewalk with a girl in high heals looks like a 'John' and a hooker. This is very disrespectful and feeds the 'ugly-Gringo' image.

The locals don't do it and most would not do it in their home town.

Imagine how ridiculous it would look if a group of foreigners came to your town and walked girls in skimpy dresses and high heals out of a strip club down the sidewalk to the local diner, Publix etc.

* RENT but, "Don't Buy a Home in Costa Rica" until you have lived here for THREE years.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:31 pm 
CR Virgin - Newbie!

And what do most gringos think of ticos?

That is a rhetorical question… but can you blame the ticos for thinking low of gringos?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:56 am 

utiva wrote:
And what do most gringos think of ticos?

That is a rhetorical question… but can you blame the ticos for thinking low of gringos?

depends on the 'gringo'. Personally, I haven't met a rotten tico yet, though I am sure the country is as full of rotten people as is my hometown.

People are people. We all suffer the 'us versus them' tribal instincts. Most everyone I've met in CR have been decent sorts. I guess I've been lucky so far.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:06 am 

Get out of the gulch and check out some of the country. You just might be surprised how friendly the people are. I have been invited to peoples homes because I respect the fact that I am a guest in a different country, and I treat the people I meet with the respect they deserve. I try and speak the language and for the most part they appreciate the fact you put in the effort. If nothing else they get a good laugh sometimes. I think that most of the Ticos with attitudes towards gringos are those that work in the gulch area or have family members that work there and tell them stories of what goes on. I have met a few ticos that initially had a chip on their shoulder since I was a gringo, but once we hang together for a while, and they get a sense of my character there is no longer an issue.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 3:48 am 

character. what a concept.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:36 am 

Ilv4play wrote:
Get out of the gulch and check out some of the country. You just might be surprised how friendly the people are. I have been invited to peoples homes because I respect the fact that I am a guest in a different country, and I treat the people I meet with the respect they deserve. I try and speak the language and for the most part they appreciate the fact you put in the effort. If nothing else they get a good laugh sometimes. I think that most of the Ticos with attitudes towards gringos are those that work in the gulch area or have family members that work there and tell them stories of what goes on. I have met a few ticos that initially had a chip on their shoulder since I was a gringo, but once we hang together for a while, and they get a sense of my character there is no longer an issue.

+100

it amasses me how little most gringos truly know about Ticos and what a warped inaccurate opinion they have of Ticos. No wonder Ticos do not like gringos--believe it or not they can read and they can hear and they know what gringos say about them. Most of those that work in the gulch are the "Costa Rican scum" but their attitude towards gringos just might be influenced by all the negative, mostly inaccurate, things they hear gringos saying everyday about Ticos.

As Ilv4play said "GET OUT OF THE GULCH" a little and learn what the 'REAL' Ticos are like before you run your mouth about how bad, lazy, stupid, and poor ALL Ticos are!! Spend a day or two in the "real world" of CR and you just might be surprised. Recently a member here asked me about Ticos and the subject of the middle class came up. When I told him there was actually a much larger middle/upper middle class here than gringos realized he chose not to believe me. His problem not mine!! I gather from things he said he is an affectionado of the REY (said he had never even been to the SL) and never leaves the gulch so he has no concept. As I told him, in the barrios and towns surrounding Chepe there are thousands of homes in the $200000 and up price range, many of the older homes which from the front do not look like much are mansions inside with beautiful inclosed gardens that can not be seen from the street, look at the number of expensive cars on the streets and remember they cost 40 to 80 % more here than in the states. And gas to run them cost much more here. look at the lines (mostly Ticos) in every McDonalds, every KFC, every Burger King, all of which cost 25% more here than in the states. Look at the number of people shopping in the thousands of retail clothing stores. And almost ALL those people living in those nice homes, driving those expensive cars, and eating at the expensive restaurants and shopping are middle /upper middle class TICOs. And they did not get there by being lazy, stupid, uneducated, nor are they poor!! True the middle class income level here may be lower than in the states but it is all relative to the country you are talking about. I live in a strictly Tico neighborhood, many of my friends are Ticos (yes you CAN be friends with Ticos) I am invited to their homes quite often, I see how they live, I hear what they think, and they are nothing like what I hear gringos describing!!! The only place I ever hear or see negative comments or actions towards Gringos is in the gulch. Yes I am sure there are many Ticos who have a negative opinion of Gringos in general but most of them, just as some of us gringos, realize that all people of any country are not "bad"!!!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next