www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Tue Jun 04, 2024 2:36 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

How good is your spanish?
I know nothing beyond Hola, donde es el bano and a few other phrases 19%  19%  [ 18 ]
I know a few verbs/verb endings and can string sentences together 34%  34%  [ 32 ]
I am somewhat conversational- can speak and comprehend 35%  35%  [ 33 ]
I am fluent 9%  9%  [ 8 ]
I am a native speaker and/or can read and write at a moderate/high level 3%  3%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 94
 Post subject: How good is you Spanish?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:27 am 
Just wondering how many guys are working on or have good Spanish

Please leave comments

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 11:42 am 
Ticas ask me for advice!

No se mucho espanol, pero yo intento.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:00 pm 
PHD From Del Rey University!

How about some recommendations for clases de español on the ground in SJ for a beginner.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:20 pm 
Ticas ask me for advice!

I've tried most. I need a structured class. I've learned the most from a traditional university class. Then by practicing in Costa Rica. I have no friends or family that have an interest. I find language very difficult. As a senior citizen a semester costs only $40. The class forces me to study because I don't like being outdone by 19 yo bimbos.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:30 pm 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

It's important to find a school with a teaching approach that suits your learning style. I've taken intermediate/advanced classes at Forester Institute, Costa Rica Language Academy and Intensa.

Forester's eclectic approach worked best for me; but, after twenty years, they permanently shut their doors two months ago.

Intensa uses a very structured, rigorous approach and switches your instructor every week (which can be good for becoming adept at developing listening skills since each week you have a slightly different accent to deal with.)

Costa Rica Learning Academy (at least at the intermediate/advanced level) took the most individualized approach. Although we had a text book, we rarely used it.

Then there's the HDR/SL/HLH approach which employs a strong motivational, inspirational approach quite effectively. :)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:13 pm 
I take private lessons via Skype. My teacher is from Ecuador. She is a professional teacher who taught Spanish at a school for 12 years. I have gone from nothing to conversational. She charges $9.00 per hour.

http://www.captivatingcuenca.com/mariel ... acher.html

her email: maryelen26@hotmail.com

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:32 pm 

If your looking for free yet pretty detailed in my opinion Spanish lessons you can try the 50day course at spanishhour.com. I have been doing it and found it useful I'm currently on day 13.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 1:44 pm 

Learning Spanish will remain work in process for the rest of my life. Living in Colombia, I am totally immersed in Spanish. I use the Michel Thomas CDs several times a week to improve my sloppy grammar. I have learned a lot about Spanish, but I have not been very good at the practical application of what I have learned.
Learning German at age 6 & 7 was a piece of cake (I can still speak it almost fluently), but learning Spanish at 50, was quite another story. :oops: I am almost 60 now, and still learning every day. :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:05 pm 
Ticas ask me for advice!

Hell yes. My English is a work in progress after 71 years. I'm still trying to improve spelling, grammar, punctuation, and vocabulary. And, my mother was an English major.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:32 pm 
Ticas ask me for advice!

Fellas, you are in luck. Retired Spanish teacher here. Will help you in any way that I can. Veteran CRT'er of the past 4 years. Trip # 8 or # 9 is March 7-14, 2013. Fishing in Jacó on the 12th & 13th.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:45 pm 

30 years ago, I was fluent in both French & Italian, lost them both due to non-usage. You'd think it would be easy to learn Spanish after knowing these other Latin languages, but at my age, I'm just too lazy.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 2:08 pm 

I wish all those well who are studying...I've noticed in my time that chicas usually have the upper hand in p4p, not only because she is usually more attractive then the monger (which is a whole different reason why the stunners are labled as dead fish, but I digress) but not knowing spanish (as I've always conteded) will always be the reason chicas have the upper hand. Makes me wanna say, "you donn't even know, wut you don't know. :|

Again, those putting in a concerted effort to learn..congrats. If it takes you 5 years to learn, so wut? You'll be a monger far longer than that...

Cujo

"Pain is the fuel that fans the flames of my pyre. A battle plan is only as good as the general carrying it out on the field. This is my war son, and I have the biggest bombs and the smallest conscience"...

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 4:49 pm 

Cujo'S wrote:
I wish all those well who are studying...I've noticed in my time that chicas usually have the upper hand in p4p, not only because she is usually more attractive then the monger (which is a whole different reason why the stunners are labled as dead fish, but I digress) but not knowing spanish (as I've always conteded) will always be the reason chicas have the upper hand. Makes me wanna say, "you donn't even know, wut you don't know. :|

Again, those putting in a concerted effort to learn..congrats. If it takes you 5 years to learn, so wut? You'll be a monger far longer than that...

Cujo

Cujo I agree that a chicas youth and looks could be intimidating to some guys, but I don't understand how not knowing Spanish will always be the reason chicas have the upper hand.

I can't speak Spanish and she can't speak English. Seems like a trade off to me.

Devo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:27 pm 

I may not speak espanol, but my eyes are fluent. :shock: :D

A woman's body does not speak any language, but they will respond to their own bodies/minds desires. By touching her how, where, when, and how often she desires, each woman understands mentally her feelings completely.

About a month until I make my return to CR after five years of MDE. I am really looking forward to it.

As usual guys fire away, I brought out my asbestos shorts.

Health & happiness to all...........

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2013 7:37 pm 

Santas Bro wrote:
I may not speak espanol, but my eyes are fluent. :shock: :D

A woman's body does not speak any language, but they will respond to their own bodies/minds desires. By touching her how, where, when, and how often she desires, each woman understands mentally her feelings completely.

About a month until I make my return to CR after five years of MDE. I am really looking forward to it.

As usual guys fire away, I brought out my asbestos shorts.

Health & happiness to all...........

Well put, SB. I believe you have broken the code. :wink: You've been hanging around paisitas way too long. :lol: