www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Fri May 17, 2024 1:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 3:48 pm 
PHD From Del Rey University!

They do set the prices and treat them as employees. Lots of grey area.

BKTUNA
I am never going home

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 4:02 pm 

Bilko wrote:
If pimping laws were actually enforced here, do you think New Fantasy, Zona Blue, Oasis, the strip clubs, the Molino Rojo, etc. etc. could stay in business? All of these places take a cut from the girls. If that's not pimping, what is? The only pimping case that I am aware of that was actually prosecuted was that older lady who had a stable of under 18 girls she provided to bigshots. And she got a slap on the wrist, basically.

On the other hand (I always do that, don't I?), if somebody can bust you and get a bribe out of the deal, you stand a great chance of being busted. Convicted? Only if you don't pay the bribe(s).

The premise is that the girl is an independent contractor who rents a room from the "hotel" where she then does whatever people do behind closed doors. When I first went to Arte Sauna, in the early & mid nineties they were very open. When you walked in you were given a price for a massage sin sexo and another price for con sexo. You paid the front desk directly not the girl. They got closed down for pimping.

Things have become a little more subtle but it would still seem to be on shaky ground and rife for payoffs.

I know the case that Bilko speaks of were the women was accused of pimping. Her clients included some high up local figures and everything basically was swept under the rug. However, I do know someone personally who was charged and spent sometime in San Sebastion for pimping. It is prosecuted but is not particularly newsworthy so you do not hear much about it.

alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat.
Alex Levine

Post subject: pinch
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 4:16 pm 

I remember like 6 years ago they pinched that guy from G & G ******* and it wasn't for having minors.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 6:03 pm 
Ticas ask me for advice!

Bilko wrote:
If pimping laws were actually enforced here, do you think New Fantasy, Zona Blue, Oasis, the strip clubs, the Molino Rojo, etc. etc. could stay in business? All of these places take a cut from the girls. If that's not pimping, what is?

While I am not authorized to practice in CR, and I do not teach law there, the mentioned practice does not appear to be "pimping" as that term is generally understood. Based upon my limited "observations" in CR, the facility leases space to the girls, and receives rent for the lease. The girls pay rent as soon as they have a need to lease the space. The facility may hold the girls money for safekeeping until the close of the day.

This is my observation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 6:07 pm 
Ticas ask me for advice!

Bktuna wrote:

I must respectfully disagree. While "visiting" a MP one night, I asked the girl what time she finished work. I was thinking about taking her out thereafter. She smiled and stated that she was an "independent contractor" and could leave whenever she desired. As far as setting prices, I cannot accept that argument either. There exists a floor (for the rent) below which a girl cannot go. In theory, you could give the girl US$1. She still remains liable for the rent due the landlord. It is not the landlord's concern as to what the girl charges for her time, so long as the landlord gets the full rental income.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 6:17 pm 

Professor wrote:
While I am not authorized to practice in CR, and I do not teach law there,

That certainly begs the question. Are you licensed to practice law in any State in the United States and are you at this time employed as a faculty member of a United States law school?

Alex Levine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 6:27 pm 
Ticas ask me for advice!

Irish Drifter wrote:
Professor wrote:
While I am not authorized to practice in CR, and I do not teach law there,

That certainly begs the question. Are you licensed to practice law in any State in the United States and are you at this time employed as a faculty member of a United States law school?

I am licensed to practice law in three U.S. jurisdictions. I am on the business law faculty of a university. I do not teach at a law school. I have worked for two U.S. law schools.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 7:12 pm 

Professor wrote:
Bktuna wrote:

I must respectfully disagree. While "visiting" a MP one night, I asked the girl what time she finished work. I was thinking about taking her out thereafter. She smiled and stated that she was an "independent contractor" and could leave whenever she desired.

Have to be careful not to generalize here. I am sure that the young lady at that establishment could see clients outside of the MP. However, as has been posted here many many times there are other MP's that will not allow a girl to, lets be kind here since they are not employees, ply her trade using their facilities if they find out she has seen clients of the MP outside the MP.

Their are numerous threads in the archives discussing that policy.

Alex Levine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 7:14 pm 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

Location: Somewhere near the "Frozen Tundra of LAMBERT FIELD (John Fing Kerry)"
I am thankful that we have an " Abogado" involved. Otherwise we might have needed to turn to a " pi "......with a college degree.

My life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming...." MAN....WHAT A RIDE!!!!"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 7:24 pm 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

What we really need , is a clear-cut opinion from our resident CRT legal beagle :

NFLORIDA :idea:

Cyg :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:43 am 

Cygnus wrote:
What we really need , is a clear-cut opinion from our resident CRT legal beagle : NFLORIDA

Yeah.... He'll be sure to clear things right up! :shock: :roll: :P NOT !!!

MG :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 2:44 pm 

Location: I don't know where I'm going, but I sure know where I've been.
Ok, then let me throw a wrench in here that has not been mentioned. Let's say that Maria, a HDR hooker, is simply tired of working the HDR. For whatever reason, she just doesn't want to do it anymore. She knows about all the MP's and knows that ZB is very popular with gringo tourists. One day she decides to go, sit down, and join the rest of the girls. She just walks right in and sits down and flirts with the first gringo that walks in the door. Maria has closed the deal with said gringo and it's off to the room......or not. First question, would ZB even let her in the door in the first place? If not, why not? Second, if she closes the deal, can she "rent" or "lease" a room like any of the other "regulars?" If not, why not? Is their a standard pre-requisite to being able to sit in the lobby if you are a working female? If the girls are truly indy's and rent space then I am of the opinion that Maria has every right to be there. Provided that she does not have a past history of problems in ZB. Or any other place for that matter. These MP's really, really ride the line as far as what is pimping and what is not. I am interested in hearing opinions on this.

dapanz1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 3:05 pm 

She would never get by the front door. In Costa Rica an establishment appears to have the right to bar anyone for any reason. For example the Presidente dress code is completely subjective and seems to be unchallengeable. Following that logic the ZB, also being a hotel, would seem to be able to bar anyone based on any subjective criteria they care to use at that particular time.

Alex Levine

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 3:11 pm 

Cygnus wrote:

What we really need , is a clear-cut opinion from our resident CRT legal beagle :

NFLORIDA :idea:

There is an old proverb that is very fitting to that thought:

"Let sleeping dogs lie" :P :lol:

Alex Levine