www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 3:49 pm 
Ticas ask me for advice!

Anybody from Florida get a "Certificate of Good Conduct" report for their residency application?

The sheriff's office insistes that all they can do is send me an email that says whether I've been arrested or not. I got the idea that getting this report, which I've also seen called a "Police Clearance Certificate," was a much more involved thing with finger prints etc.

I've looked online and called a couple of police and sheriff offices and they all tell me there's no such animal. Was hoping there might be a Florida person whose walked this trail ahead of me who could tell me what they're experience getting this paper was like.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 4:01 pm 
PHD From Del Rey University!

The FDLE gives a statewide Criminal Background Check. It did not require fingerprints.
https://shield.fdle.state.fl.us/shield

This was enough for me to start the process and get a file number (Expediente), but I later also had to have an FBI check. It did require fingerprints which I had done here in San Jose and then sent to Washington.
https://fbiapostille.net/ or https://www.fbi.gov/services/cjis/ident ... ary-checks
The first link also provides a place to send prints and also provides the Apostille.

Once you get a file number, you do not need to leave the country every 90 days, but your tourist visa will expire so you cannot legally drive or rent a car. That made border runs necessary for me.
You can check the status of your application here:
https://servicios.migracion.go.cr/servi ... iente.aspx

All this was current between 2017 and 2020. Not sure what might have changed since then.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 5:10 pm 
Ticas ask me for advice!

Boynton you have been a such a great source of information. I already owed you a beer, now it's at least two. Seriously, thanks for having and sharing such good info.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 6:12 pm 

It's a mega hassle and based on youthful indiscretions I don't like walking into any po-lice station voluntarily, bad memories.

I just got an FBI report, I think that's all they need, and it didn't have a minor incident misdemeanor I had, so my concern about 'splainin' that one was another bonus. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 7:43 pm 

Netgems wrote:
It's a mega hassle and based on youthful indiscretions I don't like walking into any po-lice station voluntarily, bad memories.

I just got an FBI report, I think that's all they need, and it didn't have a minor incident misdemeanor I had, so my concern about 'splainin' that one was another bonus. :mrgreen:

Fortunately your indiscretion was not a Federal offense.
https://youtu.be/P9_mH82hBdc

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 11:29 pm 

If you can get it written in Spanish that is a plus, otherwise you need to get it translated and submit both the original and the translated copy.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 10:07 pm 

Up until about 6-7 years ago a local police report (where you have/had residency in the States) was all that was needed. Then they changed it as Boynton said. Now a FBI report is required (unless they have changed it again) There is a site on the internet listing of government approved private companies that get it for you for a fee (about $25 six years ago). With them it takes just a few hours to get it, with going directly to the FBI it can take many weeks! All of this is what was the case 6-7 years ago. The one thing you will find about getting residency in Costa Rica is that what is a requirement today may not be tomorrow and vice versa! I had to have a bank account here (CR) and automatic deposit of my SS in that bank. I do not believe this is the case now. The worst thing I ran into was getting the bank account and getting the CAJA set up. Could not get my cedula (Dimex) until I had both of those, and both of those said no bank account and no CAJA till I had my cedula. Took almost a month to get that mess straightened out.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2022 10:04 pm 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

I know I have heard of services in Florida that provide this. My mind is blank about their names, but by way of Google I found this

https://myidentico.com/live-scan-finger ... und-check/