www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:05 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:57 pm 
PHD From Del Rey University!

Fieldtech wrote:
Either way, I’m getting on a plane in the morning.

FYI - I got in today on the 2pm JetBlue flight from Orlando. The 'Visitors' immigration line extended out of the immigration hall and down past the escalators near Gate 11. The 'Citizens & Residents' line had about 20 minutes.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:32 pm 
Ticas ask me for advice!

Immigration lines of up to and over 3 hours have become the norm for visitors. I’ve experienced it twice in the last month and talked with several others the with same experience.

Last week the line filed the main hall and extended most of the way down the hallway under the gates. The line moved so slowly people were just sitting on the floor. Easier to just sit and move a couple feet every five minutes.

After over three hours when I got finally got to the front, they had two Immigration officers working in booths for visitors. I looked back, the line still extended past the main hall and into the hallways.

It is becoming a serious enough problem I will start considering other destinations based solely on avoiding that line.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:59 pm 
Ticas ask me for advice!

Boynton wrote:
Fieldtech wrote:

FYI - I got in today on the 2pm JetBlue flight from Orlando. The 'Visitors' immigration line extended out of the immigration hall and down past the escalators near Gate 11. The 'Citizens & Residents' line had about 20 minutes.

When I came down in August, no lines down the hall. Just the regular snaking line in front of the booths.

I get in at 1pm…it is what it is.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:16 am 

Zeos wrote:
Boynton wrote:
Fieldtech
The options on the forms are built dynamically depending on the data you fill in. So, it might be that when you indicated you have insurance the web page might not have presented you the option to upload a vaccination certificate. Once you certify you have qualifying insurance, your vaccination status is moot relating to immigration, but would be insufficient to get you into the SL.

Zeos
I think there may be some confusion between "Pase de Salud" QR Code (used to allow entry into the country) and the "Covid 19 Vaccination Status" QR Code. I believe they are still two different things. I have only heard of people entering the SL with a Pase de Salud and showing the actual hard copy of their US "CDC Vaccination Record Card". I believe the scanning app only reads the Costa Rica reads the Covid 19 Vaccination Status.

My Experience
Today I returned to CR from a short trip to the US. This was my first entry since receiving residency. Last night when I filled out the Pase de Salud form, I did so with my DIMEX (residency ID). I was only asked if my CAJA payments were up to date. I did not have to have additional insurance or upload any vaccination proof.

Question
Has anyone reported being able to enter the SL using only their Pase de Salud QR code?

I had read earlier on some CR government site, that they were going to make dual use of the QR from the Pase de Salud - for tourists only - for both entry and vaccination proof. But, it is quite possible that this did not work out (some various posts seemed to suggest that). So if that is the case then be sure to carry the physical card with you. Or whatever proof you carry in your home state or country.

It might also vary according to your 'country of origin'. Specifically, how secure your country's vaccination certificates are. I don't know about Canada, but I hear those from the European Union have security similar to the CR Vaccination Certificate. However, in the US it is pretty much a piece of cardboard with the CDC logo and a sticker.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:23 am 
Not a Newbie I just don't post much!

Boynton wrote:
Also, make sure you know your Credit Card PIN after February 1, but that is a whole other issue.

Please start a separate thread on the 2/1 CC pin requirement. thanks

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:10 pm 
Ticas ask me for advice!

Fieldtech wrote:
Boynton wrote:
Fieldtech wrote:

When I came down in August, no lines down the hall. Just the regular snaking line in front of the booths.

I get in at 1pm…it is what it is.

So it is an all time speed record for me so far. Landed a little early. Time for deplaning, immigration/customs and out the front door was under was under 45 minutes.

QR code was checked in line. Asked the SL desk what I should carry to get in places and they said my code wouldn’t work but as long as I had it, I should be fine. I’ll probably carry the card too.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 9:23 am 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

Boynton wrote:

I have tried to figure out the pattern to this. Why are there sometimes it’s like you described and others when you walk right up to the immigration desk? One time it was like this for me, I get home and I am telling a girl about it and she tells me, “my friend went yesterday on the same flight and she said there was no line.” It was one week later, to the day, that her friend went.

The only pattern I have found is if you arrive on one of those late night flights, it’s usually empty.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:12 pm 

IMO, it's all about staffing at the immigration booths. Some days they have a lot of officers and the lines move quickly. Other days there are only a couple of officers at the same time. And figuring out a pattern to anything the CR bureaucracy does is a lost cause.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 1:11 pm 

catbert55 wrote:
IMO, it's all about staffing at the immigration booths. Some days they have a lot of officers and the lines move quickly. Other days there are only a couple of officers at the same time. And figuring out a pattern to anything the CR bureaucracy does is a lost cause.

How about the obvious... sometimes there are 3 planeloads of people in front of you, other times none. Depends on when flights come in.

This is especially the case in smaller volume airports, such as SJO.

Still, the longest waits I have ever had have been in the US. Its the worst.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 2:04 pm 

knowing what waits at your final destination triples your perception of wait time.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2022 3:58 pm 

Zeos wrote:
catbert55 wrote:

How about the obvious... sometimes there are 3 planeloads of people in front of you, other times none. Depends on when flights come in.

Airlines operate on schedules, so Monday afternoon at 2pm in December is likely to be close to the same number of planes Monday afternoon at 2pm in January. I fly into SJO every month. I can have the same number of people in front of me and it take 20 minutes or 60 minutes. That's staffing.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:44 am 

Check out the video on this page to see this weekend's lines at the airports in Alajuela and Liberia
https://www.crhoy.com/nacionales/video- ... -viajeros/

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:21 am 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

Boynton wrote:
Check out the video on this page to see this weekend's lines at the airports in Alajuela and Liberia
https://www.crhoy.com/nacionales/video- ... -viajeros/

By the time you get through immigration, you exit customs, cross the street, take the escalator up to “departures” and catch your plane home.

You would need a double booster shot and a gamma goblin shot to stand in that line!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:22 am 
Ticas ask me for advice!

The linked crhoy article is clear there is a difference of opinion between Immigration Police and Management.

The Immigration Police Union recognizes the problem and is asking for more funding and workers; “Unfortunately, tourists must suffer the consequences of the lack of interest on the part of the government”

General Directorate of Immigration was quoted as “the systems are working perfectly, no problem is reported.” “Currently, all entry and exit positions are complete and active.” He then points out that managing the line is the responsibility of the airport authority.

As if the people managing the line are the problem. Actually, I think they do a reasonably good job of keeping the line in order.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:39 pm 

I think the lines at SJO are managed fairly well. I appreciate them scanning the QR codes while people are in line, so people without codes can be pulled aside to get one before they get to the immigration booth.

Last edited by catbert55 on Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next