www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:34 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 3:45 pm 
PHD From Del Rey University!

jota1500

Most of us are aware that fully vaccinated travelers do not HAVE to have travel insurance. We still choose to get it since you still have to test negative for Covid in order to return to the USA. If you happen to test positive, even if you have no symptoms, you will be required to quarantine at your own expense until you test negative (probably 10 to 14 days) or a doctor releases you.

It isn't that difficult to catch Covid even if vaccinated. I have 3 friends here in the US that caught Covid after vaccination. The Delta variant is very contagious and most of us visiting Costa Rica are not really practicing social distancing when swapping spit with multiple hookers. The vaccine doesn't keep you from catching Covid, it just minimizes the symptoms and severity.

So if you test positive you are on the hook for food, lodging and any needed medical expenses during your quarantine, including follow-up Covid tests. These are not trivial costs. You will also have to bear the cost of rebooking your return flight which could be very expensive as it will probably be a last minute booking once you test negative.

Myself, even though I am fully vaccinated with the third Pfizer shot, I chose to get the insurance. The cost was pretty trivial ($88 for 24 days) compared to the potential costs were I to test positive.

I didn't feel like rolling the dice.

Good luck

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 4:27 pm 

Soon you will have to show proof vaccination QR-code to enter a restaurant.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 5:50 pm 
Not a Newbie I just don't post much!

A photo copy of vaccination card would not generate a health pass in August. It would not even upload.

Would a hardcopy of the vaccination card or photo suffice? Any advice appreciated.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 6:26 pm 
Not a Newbie I just don't post much!

Great advice, im traveling next week and got all my questions answered on this board. Thank you, everyone.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 12:33 am 
CR Virgin - Newbie!

Harddrive43228 wrote:
kwadd wrote:
FYI on Ins. My Medicare plan has worldwide medical coverage with a $90 deductible. You may want to check with your plan for coverage. :D

I have a Medicare supplement that also has international coverage (up to $25K) after meeting the plan deductible. One thing that my policy and othe similar policies probably won't cover are the additional expenses for lodging, food and additional travel expense in the event you test positive for Covid and have to extend your trip and quarantine before returning to the states.

Be sure to read your existing policy carefully and call your Medicare advantage plan or supplement insurance provider if you are not sure of the extent of their Covid coverages. Apparently it is pretty easy to catch Covid and remain asymptomatic even if you are vaccinated. You could get stuck with a pretty big bill for those expenses.

What Medicare supplement plans provide good international coverage? I have been looking for such a plan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 1:45 pm 

Mine is a BCBS Medigap plan. I would have to pay for services upfront and apply for reembursement. I believe Medicare has a tool online to compare medigap and advantage plans. Again my coverage is a max of $25k. A drop in the bucket if anything serious happens like you need a medical evacuation. I still always get separate travel insurance when I travel internationally. The plans are generally pretty inexpensive for the coverage.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 2:22 pm 

Harddrive43228 wrote:
The plans are generally pretty inexpensive for the coverage.
Ever wonder why?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:35 pm 
I can do CR without a wingman!

BYRABSFAHYMFQ
Boynton wrote:
Harddrive43228 wrote:
Ever wonder why?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:26 pm 

DManWalking wrote:
BYRABSFAHYMFQ
Boynton wrote:
Harddrive43228 wrote:
Ever wonder why?

Supply chain issues with the Thorazine again?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 5:43 pm 
Just Learning The Gulch!

Just looking for any updated information on this topic as I am not vaccinated and have been looking into some things how things might change after 2/7 (my trip is 2/10-2/15)…..I know I need to get the insurance and test negative to get back into us(I’m staying at sl so I can get the test there). Am I missing anything as of now?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 9:39 pm 

Joeashton85 wrote:
Just looking for any updated information on this topic as I am not vaccinated and have been looking into some things how things might change after 2/7 (my trip is 2/10-2/15)…..I know I need to get the insurance and test negative to get back into us(I’m staying at sl so I can get the test there). Am I missing anything as of now?

According to the plan, unless it changes, you need to be vaccinated to get into bars, restaurants, hotels, etc.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2022 10:44 pm 

Expect the next update to happen around 15-January for driving and other restrictions. Expect a "full vaccination" requirement as defined by the WHO. Implementing the mess is anyone's guess, but if you don't have proof of vaccination, bring a blanket. The benches at Park Morazon get cold at night, but at least you won't be lonely.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2022 12:38 am 

Boynton wrote:
Expect the next update to happen around 15-January for driving and other restrictions. Expect a "full vaccination" requirement as defined by the WHO. Implementing the mess is anyone's guess, but if you don't have proof of vaccination, bring a blanket. The benches at Park Morazon get cold at night, but at least you won't be lonely.

:D Oh jeeze I exceeded my post limit, MSN.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2022 7:29 pm 
Masters Degree in Mongering!

https://www.cdc.gov/csels/dls/locs/2021 ... ing_1.html

After December 31, 2021, CDC will withdraw the request to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for Emergency Use Authorization (EUA) of the CDC 2019-Novel Coronavirus (2019-nCoV) Real-Time RT-PCR Diagnostic Panel, the assay first introduced in February 2020 for detection of SARS-CoV-2 only. CDC is providing this advance notice for clinical laboratories to have adequate time to select and implement one of the many FDA-authorized alternatives.

Visit the FDA website for a list of authorized COVID-19 diagnostic methods. For a summary of the performance of FDA-authorized molecular methods with an FDA reference panel, visit this page.

In preparation for this change, CDC recommends clinical laboratories and testing sites that have been using the CDC 2019-nCoV RT-PCR assay select and begin their transition to another FDA-authorized COVID-19 test. CDC encourages laboratories to consider adoption of a multiplexed method that can facilitate detection and differentiation of SARS-CoV-2 and influenza viruses. Such assays can facilitate continued testing for both influenza and SARS-CoV-2 and can save both time and resources as we head into influenza season. Laboratories and testing sites should validate and verify their selected assay within their facility before beginning clinical testing.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:47 pm 
Ticas ask me for advice!

Can anyone that’s travelled recently comment on the entry requirements?

I was just there in August. Even though I’m vaxed, I got the insurance which was cheap IMO for the peace of mind and I plan on getting it again for this trip. I used Sagicor last time and will probably go with the same again.

Is registering for the health pass still within 48 hours of travel date to get the QR code?

Thanks in advance.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next