www.CostaRicaTicas.com

Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2021 10:13 pm 
Site Admin

The government announced today that effective December 1st, a certificate of vaccination will be required to enter most businesses or participate in activities in Costa Rica.

The list includes bars, restaurants and hotels. Businesses will be required to scan the QR codes of customers upon entry.

https://ticotimes.net/2021/10/13/costa- ... 19-vaccine
https://www.crhoy.com/nacionales/en-est ... -ingresar/
https://www.ministeriodesalud.go.cr/ind ... n-covid-19

At this time we are not sure how tourists will comply with the requirement. The process to generate and request the QR code has only been explained for citizens and residents.

While it is possible that tourists may be able to use the QR code generated for their heath pass, this has not been explicitly stated. We can expect more information in the coming weeks. The US Embassy in Costa Rica has yet to publish advice for travelers.

The rules do explicitly state full vaccination. For now, if your travel plans include Costa Rica from Dec 1. or forward, then you should plan to receive your second or final vaccination at least two weeks before arrival in Costa Rica. As Dec. 1st approaches, it's likely that tourists who arrive unvaccinated in Costa Rica will encounter problems.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:42 pm 
Site Admin

According to the law firm, Outlier Legal: https://news.outlierlegal.com/

Quote:
We reached to the authorities this morning to clarify how the Mandatory vaccination certificate will work for tourists. They have confirmed that, as of December 1st, tourists will use their Health Pass and Vaccination Card to be able to enter businesses. Only those who are fully vaccinated will be able to enter these places, visit our blog for more details.

Just to clarify the "Health Pass and Vaccination Card" is the paperwork that tourists generate prior to traveling to Costa Rica by air. So, if you are fully vaccinated, have your Vaccination Card and complete the health pass as required prior to boarding your flight, then you may fully participate in Costa Rica.

It unclear what consequences tourists may face for lacking proof of vaccination. However, as the Dec 1. deadline comes closer, unvaccinated travelers are likely to encounter problems, especially if their itinerary has a return flight after Dec 1st or they test positive for Covid at time of departure and are required to quarantine/remain in Costa Rica for 2 weeks.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 5:54 am 
I can do CR without a wingman!

You probably don't have the answer to my question. Just wondering if it will be acceptable to use photo copy of the vaccination card and health pass on phone or paper copy of both (same as copy of passport) to enter hotels, bars and restaurants? More clarity from the CR Gov hopefully will be forthcoming.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:12 am 
PHD From Del Rey University!

Hadish wrote:
You probably don't have the answer to my question. Just wondering if it will be acceptable to use photo copy of the vaccination card and health pass on phone or paper copy of both (same as copy of passport) to enter hotels, bars and restaurants? More clarity from the CR Gov hopefully will be forthcoming.

Don't have an answer, just a guess but the health pass system that generates the QR code that you have to show the airlines and immigration already has a "two path" process. One path if you are vaccinated and another if you are using the insurance to gain entry. I would imagine it would be an easy fix / modification to change the generated form with the QR code to indicate that the person validated with a vaccine status.

I can't imagine that the CR government is going to force business operators to become familiar with every country's vaccination documentation. That said, it is Costa Rica so you never know and I did purchase a vaccine card holder and lanyard at Amazon the other day just in case. https://www.amazon.com/s?k=vaccine+card ... -doa-p_1_7

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:27 am 
Not a Newbie I just don't post much!

Harddrive I leave on the 27th and the health pass said to get the QR code 48 hours prior to departing. Does that mean Monday the 25th I need to get the QR code and that is the only day I can do it?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 9:39 am 

RockinRob1 wrote:
Harddrive I leave on the 27th and the health pass said to get the QR code 48 hours prior to departing. Does that mean Monday the 25th I need to get the QR code and that is the only day I can do it?

Rockin Rob…here is a detailed thread regarding the Q code, insurance requirements, etc….

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=53033

Last edited by bfpsu12 on Fri Oct 15, 2021 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 10:00 am 

December 1st is 49 days away.

The following is from the CCSS web site, my calendar, and my calculator.
https://www.ccss.sa.cr/web/coronavirus/vacunacion
The CR population eligible for vaccination is 4,274,344.
Of that number 1,325,046 (31%) have NOT received a first dose. This group will need to get it, wait 8 weeks, get their second dose, then wait 2 more weeks and get their health pass. (70 days from 1st jab) so over 30% of the population will not have enough time to get vaccinated and receive a QR Code before the "deadline"

The number of people who still need their second dose is 2,408,145 (54% of the population). Some unknown portion of them will be within the 8 week waiting period between shots. But given the 2 week waiting period, they will ALL need to get their 2nd dose by November 17 to be eligible for a health pass on December 1. That's a whole lot of second jabs in 33 days (73,000 per day, each day, including weekends).

From QCostaRica
https://qcostarica.com/this-is-how-you- ... ecember-1/
The Ministry of Health has issued 1,100,000 Health Certificates as of October 12. So far, they have been averaging 30,000 per day.

If EVERYONE was 'magically fully immunized TODAY' in violation of the physical laws of time and space. It would take 105 days at that rate to issue passes to the rest of the population. December 1 is 49 days away.

My Conclusion
R E L A X (get your jab, fill out the documents, carry print copies of everything, it a great time to visit).

Last edited by Boynton on Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:01 pm 

Believe Mr. Boynton is right on point.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 12:59 pm 

Hadish wrote:

As always, but I'm not sure what the valid conclusion is. The Health Ministry adopts a "manana, manana" approach and the Dec 1st deadline is postponed, or Costa Rica goes over an economic cliff because they didn't think things through? Being Costa Rica, it's kind of a coin flip.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 1:18 pm 

catbert55 wrote:
Hadish wrote:

As always, but I'm not sure what the valid conclusion is. The Health Ministry adopts a "manana, manana" approach and the Dec 1st deadline is postponed, or Costa Rica goes over an economic cliff because they didn't think things through? Being Costa Rica, it's kind of a coin flip.

The conclusion is "Pay attention to the news but don't change your travel plans. If vaccinated, come on down and enjoy the show".

To be sure, implementation of government laws and decrees is always a coin flip. I recall various attempts to stamp out our hobby that have failed. But I also remember the decision to eliminate smoking in all public places which surprisingly happened.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2021 2:21 pm 

Unfortunately, my December travel plans involved a trip to Manuel Antonio, which included wifeing up with a chica who won't be fully vaccinated by then. Oh well. Semper versatilis

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:03 am 

Its my favorite show and that includes TV.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 1:59 pm 

I wonder roughly what % of Ticas (and others) will be fully vaccinated by December. My "guess" is probably not that many? Therefore, I assume that the availability of "talent" at SL etc. will likely not be very robust going into Christmas.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:44 pm 

BondTrader wrote:
I wonder roughly what % of Ticas (and others) will be fully vaccinated by December. My "guess" is probably not that many? Therefore, I assume that the availability of "talent" at SL etc. will likely not be very robust going into Christmas.

82% of eligible population have had at least one dose. 56% of eligible population both doses. So by December more or less 70-80% of eligible (age 12 and over) people could be fully vaccinated. And at least one shot around 90%.

Have no idea on the levels among the ticas, but since they are 50% of the population no reason to think it would be wildly different.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:11 am 

Apparently it's not hard to get a fake vaccination card :roll: The last I knew, they were for sale online.

"In a nation ruled by swine, all pigs are upwardly mobile, and the rest of us are phucked until we can put our acts together; not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely"...Hunter S. Thompson (RIP)

Last edited by Gringotim on Mon Oct 18, 2021 1:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.