Welcome to the #1 Source for Information on Costa Rica
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Google Fi question
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:59 pm 
Not a Newbie I just don't post much!

[/quote]You can't use Fi and live abroad. They will shut you down.[/quote]

Thanks !!

What you say is indeed correct (partially) but it’s my understanding that one must us the Google Fi phone in the USA from time to time - I don’t know the actual time requirements.

My plan however was to have friends that return to the USA quite often take my Google Fi phone with them and make a few call in the US to cover that requirement. They go back and forth for business and are not away but a few days to a few weeks. For that period of time, I could coordinate with them to tell me the veryfication code if I needed to use one.

Anyway, that’s was my plan!!

Thanks again for taking the time to comment!

Woozo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:04 pm 

saltyron wrote:
Woozo wrote:
As an example, if I log onto an existing account from a different device (iPad, as an example) then I need to do a text message verification the first time.

Seeing this, do you use an iphone or android phone? GoogleFi and iphones do not play well together. Another option is to just get a google voice number.

https://voice.google.com/u/0/signup

You can have text messages sent here, it's tied to your Gmail account, so you see the verification code in an email instead of text. I've had a Google Voice number for years as my anti spam number. Works great.

Saltyron,

Thank you!

Yes, I do use Apple products but my plan was to purchase an inexpensive Google Fi phone (they have one on sale now for about $100).

I will look at the Google Voice thing as that might be the best option - thanks for the suggestion!

Woozo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:09 pm 

Miamiheller wrote:

What he said.

I use my GV number for 2F authentication all the time.

Might want to also look into using Google Authenticator if your bank supports it.

mh[/quote]

MH,

Thanks!

I am not aware of Google Authenticator so I will also look into that! The second positive opinion on Google Voice is also appreciated.

Lots of good advice and suggestions here - thanks to all!

Woozo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 2:19 pm 
Ticas ask me for advice!

Reading the comments on the Google Fi Shut Me Down video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qji_9qth8HQ), I see that what they shut down is your data, and according to the guy that made the video you can still get texts and calls (for free if you're using wifi).

If you can receive and send texts, does that means you can use it for two-factor authentication? Or are those messages more complicated that just look like texts?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 4:59 pm 
PHD From Del Rey University!

Bookie wrote:
Reading the comments on the Google Fi Shut Me Down video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qji_9qth8HQ), I see that what they shut down is your data, and according to the guy that made the video you can still get texts and calls (for free if you're using wifi).

If you can receive and send texts, does that means you can use it for two-factor authentication? Or are those messages more complicated that just look like texts?

No, it does not. Two factor means something through a cell network or land line not using the web, plus your contact through email or on the site.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:12 pm 
Ticas ask me for advice!

I see. That's for clarifying.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:31 pm 
Just Learning The Gulch!

I've been in CR for 3 months and have 2 Google Fi phones (work and personal). They live on wifi most of the time. I have not had any problems sending or receiving texts (including 2 factor from my bank).

I also have not had any issue with them getting shutdown.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 5:41 pm 
Ticas ask me for advice!

joeeey wrote:
I've been in CR for 3 months and have 2 Google Fi phones (work and personal). They live on wifi most of the time. I have not had any problems sending or receiving texts (including 2 factor from my bank).

I also have not had any issue with them getting shutdown.

I hope you have no issues, but the notices seem to get sent out around the eighth month after no U.S. activity. It's in the TOS that the phone will be used "primarily" in the U.S.